Andhra Style Mukkala Pulusu Recipe-Mixed Vegetable Sambar
Mukkala Pulusu is a sambar made with mixed vegetables (Bottle gourd, pumpkin, drumsticks and other seasonal vegetables) tamarind pulp, jaggery and spices. Serve it with Steamed Rice and Thoran of your choice.
Mukkala Pulusu is a classic dish from Andhra Pradesh. It is a part of day to day meal, a good change from the regular sambar. It is made with mixed vegetables (Bottle gourd, pumpkin, drumsticks and other seasonal vegetables), tamarind pulp, jaggery and spices.
This dish is simple and easy to make. It goes very well with steamed rice, idli, dosa and pongal. You can add vegetables according to your taste and preference. This sweet and tangy pulusu is wholesome and also a healthy option because it combines many vegetables in one dish.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Sambar recipes for your Indian Dinner such as:
- 1/4 cup Mangalorean cucumber , cut into small chunks
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , chopped
- 50 grams Green beans (French Beans) , chopped
- 1/4 cup Kaddu (Parangikai/ Pumpkin) , cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup Bottle gourd (lauki) , cut into small chunks
- 1 Drumstick , cut into 2 inch pieces
- 10 Shallots
- 1 Tomato , diced
- 2 Green Chillies , slit
- Turmeric powder (Haldi) , a pinch
- Tamarind , big lemon sized (extract the juice in 1 cup water)
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Jaggery
- 1 teaspoon Sambar Powder , adjustable
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , as required (chopped)
- Salt , to taste For tempering
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu) ,
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- Methi Leaves (Fenugreek Leaves) , a pinch
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 4 cloves Garlic , crushed
- 1 Dry Red Chilli , broken
- 12 Curry leaves
How to make Andhra Style Mukkala Pulusu Recipe-Mixed Vegetable Sambar
To begin making the Mukkala Pulusu Recipe, firstly heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Cook them for about 10 seconds.
After 10 seconds, add asafoetida, dry red chilli and curry leaves. Let it sizzle for another 15 seconds.
Next, add shallots, green chillies, garlic and sauté for a minute. Add tomato pieces and a little salt. Cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
Once the tomatoes turn soft, add sambar powder and mix well. Sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the mixed vegetables (drumsticks, pumpkin, bottle gourd, mangalore cucumber, carrot and beans), tamarind pulp, 2 cups of water, jaggery and mix well. Close the lid of the pressure cooker & cook for 2 whistle. Turn off the heat & open the lid once the pressure subsides.
Give it a mix, garnish with coriander and serve hot.