Murgh Ajmeri Recipe
It is a spicy chicken delicacy where the marinated chicken pieces are slow cooked with Indian spices.
A classic Chicken curry from the Holy City Ajmer, named after the city Murgh Ajmeri is a thick and spicy chicken delicacy where the marinated chicken pieces are slow cooked with Indian spices.
Served with Tandoori Roti , Naan or Rice, Murgh Ajmeri is a staple chicken dish that is commonly served in hotels, restaurants and special occasions.
Serve Murgh Ajmeri along with Garlic Naan or Jeera Rice and Onion salad for a weeknight dinner.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Chicken recipes such as
- 1 kg Chicken , cut into medium size pieces
- 4 tablespoon Ghee , or oil
- 4 Onion , coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon Fresh cream
- 2 tablespoon Cashew nuts , chopped (optional)
- Salt , as needed
- 3 Mint Leaves (Pudina) , roughly torn
- 2 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , freshly chopped for garnish For marination
- 1 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt) , whisked
- 2 tablespoon Ginger , paste
- 2 tablespoon Garlic , paste
- 1 tablespoon Green Chilli , paste
- 1 tablespoon Mustard oil , (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice For whole spices
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 4 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 4 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 4 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon Mace (Javitri)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds) , (optional)
How to make Murgh Ajmeri Recipe
To begin making the Murgh Ajmeri recipe, clean and wash chicken nicely collect in a bowl.
Add all the above mentioned ingredients under 'marination' and mix well with the chicken. Cover the bowl with a lid or cling wrap it and refrigerate it for 1 hour.
Heat oil or ghee in a pan and add all the above mentioned ingredients under 'whole spices' and let them crackle.
Now add coarsely ground onion and saute till raw smell goes off and it turns golden in colour.
Add marinated chicken pieces along with marination and mix well, fry till curd starts leaving water.
Keep the flames high and allow the curd water to dry.
Now add coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and mix well.
Add some torned mint leaves while the chicken is frying with the masala for some aroma.
Let the chicken cook on low heat till oil starts leaving from sides. This might take around 25 to 30 minutes.
Adjust salt as needed and add fresh cream, chopped cashews and mix well. Cook on low heat for another 5 mins.
Once the chicken masala is nicely fried and oil starts oozing out from sides, add warm water to the chicken to make curry as per required consistency. Usually the curry is thick so add water accordingly.
Check salt again and adjust if needed. Mix well and let the chicken cook in low heat with lid closed until soft and tender.
Turn off the heat and garnish the curry with fresh chopped coriander. Serve Murgh Ajmeri along with Garlic Naan or Jeera Rice and Onion salad for a weeknight dinner.