Kashmiri Style Nadru Ke Kabab Recipe-Lotus Stem in Spicy Gravy
We have usually eaten kebab in the form of grilled pieces but in this recipe the lotus kebabs are cooked in a spicy tomato based curry. This is delicacy that is found in Kashmir cuisine. You can serve it by pouring some red chilli tempering on top and accompanied by tawa paratha.
Nadru Ke Kabab is a curry based kebab made from lotus stems and served in a spicy gravy base. Lotus stems are called nadru in Kashmiri language. Lotus stems are rich in iron, copper, magnesium and other vital enzymes required for a better functioning of our body.
Serve Nadru Ke Kabab along with Pudina Tawa Paratha for a weekday Lunch or dinner.
Have a look at the other possibilities of interesting recipes
Ingredients For Kabab
- 1 Lotus Stem , washed, boiled and grated
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 Potato (Aloo) , boiled and peeled
- Salt , to taste
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 2 pinch Ajwain (Carom seeds) , crushed between palms
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , minced/grated
- 1 teaspoon Garlic , paste
- 2 tablespoon Roasted Gram Flour (Sattu Ka Atta)
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1/2 Lemon juice
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Bread crumbs , for coating Ingredients For Makhani Gravy:
- 5 Tomatoes , medium sized, cut into 4
- 1 Onion , small, cut into 4
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , small, cut into half and deseeded
- 7-8 Garlic
- 2 inch Ginger , grated/ 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1/2 cup Cashew nuts
- Salt , to taste
- 2 tablespoons Ghee , or clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon Garam masala powder
- Red Chilli powder , for tempering
- Water , for consistency
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Homemade tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons Milk , optional
How to make Kashmiri Style Nadru Ke Kabab Recipe-Lotus Stem in Spicy Gravy
To begin making your Nadru Ke Kabab, in a pressure cooker, add tomatoes, Ginger, garlic, onion, capsicum, cashew and 1/4th cup water (to avoid burning). Pressure cook this till one whistle on high flame and the simmer and cook further till two more whistles.
Cool the contents and grind into a fine paste in a mixer grinder. Sieve it and keep aside.
In a bowl, mix boiled potatoes and boiled lotus stem along with the rest of the ingredients for making kabab. Mix well.
Now take a tablespoon full of this mix and roll between your hands to make a kabab. Apply a little oil if sticky, but do not add any more flour. Lotus stems and potatoes have a sticky texture so it’s fine.
Coat with bread crumbs. Make all the kebabs like this and keep them in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
Heat Oil in a Wok and start frying after refrigerating. Fry on a medium-high flame to avoid oiliness. Keep these aside till you make the gravy.
Heat ghee/ clarified butter in a pan. Add the tomato puree, salt and garam masala. Sauté this on simmer till it leaves ghee on the sides of the pan.
Add the Makhani mixture which we had pressure cooked earlier. Add tomato ketchup and cook until done.
For Tempering, heat a little Ghee in a tadka pan. One it's warm, add degi mirch, saute for 2-5 seconds and take the pan off heat.
In a serving bowl, place the kebabs. Now, pour over the prepared gravy. Garnish with the red chilli tempering and coriander leaves. Serve Nadru Ke Kabab along with Pudina Tawa Paratha for a weekday Lunch or dinner.