No Onion No Garlic Black Eyed Beans Curry Recipe
No Onion No Garlic Black Eyed Beans (Chawli/Lobia/Cow peas) Curry is a tasty side dish usually served with Roti or Rice. This simple, quick no-onion/garlic recipe is made by cooking the nutritious beans with some flavourful spices and hence can be served for religious festive fares too. Groundnut powder adds taste and helps to thicken the gravy.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other No Onion No Garlic recipes such as
- 1 cup Black Eyed Beans (Lobia) , soaked in water for 7 to 8 hours
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh coconut
- 1 tablespoon Groundnut powder
- 3 Kokum (Malabar Tamarind) , or use 1/2-1 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery , grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Maharashtrian Goda Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- Salt , to taste
How to make No Onion No Garlic Black Eyed Beans Curry Recipe
To begin making the No Onion No Garlic Black Eyed Beans Curry, first cook the beans with 2 cups of water, in a pressure cooker, for 1 whistle and 10 to 15 minutes on sim (or till the beans are soft but not mushy).
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the mustard seeds and once they crackle add the cumin seeds.
Add the hing, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, goda masala. Mix everything well.
Add the black eyed beans along with the water used for cooking.
Add the kokum skin, jaggery, groundnut powder, coconut and salt. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring once or twice.