Oats Uppu Kozhukattai Recipe
Steamed and tempered savoury oats & rice dumplings
Oats Uppu Kozhukattai Recipe or also called 'undu uruli kozhukattai' is a South Indian savoury dish. Steamed rice dumplings, usually rolled into marble sized balls, are tempered with a combination of red chillies,curry leaves, bengal gram, split black gram and grated coconut. This makes a wholesome yet healthy snack. To give the traditional recipe a little twist, I have used a combination of oats and rice flour in Oats Uppu Kozhukattai Recipe. Oats being rich in fibre and beta glucan helps to 'up' the health quotient of the dish.
Deliciously soft oats kozhukattai tossed in tempered crunchy coconut and dals. Served during tea time.
Here are few more kozhukattai recipes to try
- To get a fine oats powder, roast the oats until you can 'crush' them between your fingers.
- Stir the dough mixture continuously in order to get a smooth dough and to avoid lumps.
- In case you want to store the dough for a day or two, place the dough inside a greased zip lock bag/ an empty oil cover. This will prevent the outer layer from drying out.
For Steamed Dumplings
- 1 cup Instant Oats (Oatmeal)
- 3/4 cup Rice flour
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2-1/2 cups Water For Tempering
- 1/2 cup Fresh coconut , grated
- 2 Dry Red Chillies , broken (adjust)
- 1 tablespoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Oil
- 10 Curry leaves
- Salt , to taste
How to make Oats Uppu Kozhukattai Recipe
To prepare Oats Uppu Kozhukattai Recipe, make the steamed dumplings first. In a kadai, dry roast oats over medium heat until it turns crisp.
In a mixer, grind the roasted and aromatic oats into a fine powder.
Mix the powdered oats, rice flour, salt, oil and water together.
Transfer the lump free mixture into a thick bottomed pan/kadai.
Cook over low heat, stirring continuously.
The mixture will soon begin to form a lump, continue stirring and cook until the mixture comes together into a soft ball of dough.
Turn off heat and transfer the dough into a greased bowl.
Once it is cool enough to handle, pinch bit of dough and shape into marble sized ball.
Repeat till all the dough is used up.
Grease the idli molds and place the shaped kozhukattai on it such that each of them do not touch the other.
Place in the steamer and steam cook for 7-8 minutes.
Open the lid of the steamer and allow the steamed kozhukattai to cool for 10 minutes or till cooled considerably, since kozhukattai tends to crumble/loose shape when just steamed.
For the tempering, heat oil in a tadka pan. Add the mustard seeds.
Once it splutters, add the hing, curry leaves, red chillies and the dals. Stir fry until the dals turn golden.
Add salt and grated coconut. Continue to stir fry over low heat until the coconut gets a little crunchy.
Turn off the heat and toss the cooled kozhukattai in the tempering carefully.
The Oats Uppu Kozhukattai Recipe are ready to be served during evening.