Open Bean and Veggies Burrito Muffin Recipe
Muffins with homemade wheat flour tortilla and burrito filling that is quite spicy, tangy, cheesy and meaty all at the same time. Kids would love to try them as their after school snack or it would be loved by your friends at your parties when served as an appetizer.
Mexican Burrito is a well known street food in America and also a complete meal in itself. I love the flavor combination this Open Bean and Veggies Burrito Muffin Recipe has to offer. It is spicy, tangy, cheesy and meaty (I prefer the meaty version) all at the same time. There is no set rule to making a burrito so I just kept the flavors intact but played around with ingredients. This one is a vegetarian version but you can always add chicken or any shredded meat to the recipe.
I was surprised with the results, the tortilla was crisp and was holding the stuffing very nicely. The vegetables, kidney beans and rice were going very well with cheese and salsa. This is a very good snack for the toddlers as well because it doesn’t lead to any mess and is very easy to make and serve.
If you like this recipe, you can try more recipes like
- You can use store bought pickled jalapeños but if using fresh jalapeños then reduce the quantity by half otherwise it’ll turn out to be very spicy.
- You can add cooked and shredded chicken as part of the stuffing by replacing the steamed vegetables.
- 3 Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla , cut in half
- 1 cup Mixed vegetables , and steamed (broccoli, carrot, zucchini)
- 3 tablespoons Pickled Jalapenos , (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1/4 cup Cooked rice
- 1/2 cup Rajma (Large Kidney Beans) , soaked and boiled
- 1/2 cup Tomato Salsa
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Parsley leaves , chopped
- Cheese , grated, to sprinkle
- Spring Onion Greens , chopped, to sprinkle
How to make Open Bean and Veggies Burrito Muffin Recipe
To begin making Open Bean and Veggies Burrito Muffin Recipe, boil the kidney beans with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker with salt for about 6 whistle and set aside to release the pressure naturally.
Steam all the vegetables in a vegetable steamer for 10 minutes and keep it ready.
Mix together boiled rice, steamed vegetables, jalapeños, red chilli flakes, oregano, kidney beans and tomato salsa.
Add salt, lemon juice and pepper as required. Keep the stuffing as dry as possible. Do a taste check and adjust spices.
Preheat the oven at 200 degrees C for about 7-8 minutes.
Meanwhile, take one half of the tortilla, roll it and place in a muffin tray. Add 2 spoonfuls of the stuffing. With the weight of the stuffing, the rolled up tortilla will hold its shape.
Use up the rest of the five halved tortillas into the muffin pan and distribute the stuffing in all six.
Then sprinkle cheese, parsley and spring onions on top.
Now brush the sides of each tortilla with some oil to get it to crisp up and turn golden brown while baking.
Bake Burrito Muffin in a preheated oven at 200 degree C for about 7-8 minutes or until they are sufficiently golden and cheese has melted.