Orange Rasam Recipe
An out of the box, rasam recipe, this tangy Orange rasam recipe has a nice citrusy flavour. It is great to be served with steamed rice, pickle and papad.
Orange Rasam Recipe is with a unique twist of adding orange juice to the regular rasam. This rasam has a refreshing fruity flavour to please your taste buds.
Did you know: Orange is a superfruit having a wealth of nutrients including vitamin C, vitamin A precursors, calcium, potassium, and pectin. Oranges are full of vitamin C which protects cells by neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals cause chronic diseases, like cancer and heart disease.
Try more such delectable rasam recipes like
- Veppam Poo Rasam Recipe (Neem flower Rasam),
- Hunase Saaru Recipe (Mysore Style Spicy Tamarind Rasam)
- Pineapple Rasam Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 5 Curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 4 cloves Garlic , crushed
- 5 Tomatoes , chopped & pureed
- 2 cups Fresh orange juice
- Lemon , juice from half
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , freshly chopped, as required
- 1/4 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal) , cooked (optional)
How to make Orange Rasam Recipe
To begin making Orange Rasam Recipe, place a saucepan on medium heat, add 2 cups of water, chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, hing, salt and orange zest. Allow this mixture to boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile to make the rasam masala powder, heat a pan on medium heat. Dry roast black pepper, cumin seeds, curry leaves, red chilli, toor dal, for 2-3 minutes. Let the spices cool. Once cooled, grind them to a coarse mixture.
Once the tomatoes are softened and mixture is boiled for 10-15 minutes, add the cooked toor dal. Click here to know How To Cook Lentils In A pressure Cooker.
Add the freshly ground rasam masala . Let the rasam mixture boil for 4-5 minutes. Adjust the consistency of the rasam.
After 4-5 minutes, turn off the heat. Add orange juice, lemon juice and mix well. At this stage, proceed to make the seasoning for the rasam.
To prepare the seasoning, heat a tadka pan on medium heat. Add ghee to it.Once the ghee is hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add the curry leaves.
Add the seasoning to rasam mixture. Garnish the rassam with coriander leaves.