No Onion No Garlic Oriya Style Moong Dalma Recipe
Dalma is Oriya lentil dish with mixed vegetables, seasoned with hot ghee and sprinkle of red chilli power and cumin powder. Serve this delicious recipe with roti or hot steaming rice.
Moong Dalma is one of the dalma recipes which is the soul food of every Odissi household. Moong dalma is a simple delicious dal stew with or without vegetables and is a high protein recipe.
Toor dalma is the authentic dalma that is popular in Orissa and replacement of Moong dal instead is its variation used here. Moong dalma is light and nutritious and easy to digest. Use of no onions and no garlic in this recipe makes it satvik. You can try including vegetables of your choice in this curry recipe.
Here are more recipes from Oriya cuisine
- 1 cup Yellow Moong Dal (Split) , roasted
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables , cut to bite size
- 1 teaspoon Panch Phoran Masala
- 2 tablespoons Fresh coconut , grated
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 3 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- Salt , to taste
- 3 cups Water Panch Phoran Spices for Tadka
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/4 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kalonji (Onion Nigella Seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
How to make No Onion No Garlic Oriya Style Moong Dalma Recipe
To begin making Odiya Style Moong Dalma Recipe, soak moong dal in warm water for half an hour. Get prep with the other ingredients as well.
Into a pressure cooker add bay leaf, moong dal and mixed vegetables and pressure cook the dal and vegetables for two to three whistles. Let the pressure release naturally and keep aside.
In a pan, dry roast cumin seeds and dry red chilli. Take the spices off pan to cool. Once they cool down, dry grind them and keep it aside.
In the same pan heat ghee and add panch phoran, ginger and dry red chillies saute for a few seconds. Once the ginger is done add the cooked moong dal-vegetables and mix well. Add more water if required to adjust consistency to suit your taste. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Mix grated coconut to the Moong Dalma recipe and switch off flame.
Transfer Odiya Style Moong Dalma into a serving bowl and garnish with roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder, coconut.