Homemade Pav Bhaji Recipe - Delicious Mumbai Style Street Food
A delicious recipe of pav bhaji that you can make at home, with simple and wholesome ingredients. It makes a great dish for indian parties as well as a weeknight dinner. Serve it along with buttered pav buns and end it with some chaas.
Pav Bhaji Recipe is one of the most popular street foods of India. The bhaji is made from spiced potatoes and vegetables, simmered in butter and some spices and is served with buttered pav buns.
The pav bhaji masala is a special masala that is used in this recipe is readily available in the stores. In addition to the pav bhaji masala, the chaat masala and the lemon juice along with chopped onions make this a very special dish at home
If you like more chaat recipes then you must try some of our favorites like -
Main Ingredients for Pav Bhaji
- 12 Pav buns , (hamburger buns could be substituted)
- Butter (Salted) , for toasting
- 1 Onions , finely chopped for serving
- 2 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped for garnishing Ingredients for the Bhaji
- 3 Potatoes (Aloo) , peeled and diced
- 2 Carrots (Gajjar) , diced
- 1/2 cup Cabbage (Patta Gobi/ Muttaikose) , chopped
- 2 cups Cauliflower (gobi)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , finely chopped
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- 3 cloves Garlic , grated
- 2 tablespoons Pav bhaji masala
- 1 tablespoon Chaat Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup Green peas (Matar) , steamed
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Butter (Salted)
- Salt , to taste
How to make Homemade Pav Bhaji Recipe - Delicious Mumbai Style Street Food
To begin making the Pav Bhaji Recipe, we will first cook the potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and cabbage using 1/2 a cup of water in a pressure cooker until very soft and mushy.
You can also cook the vegetables in a saucepan. Once the vegetables for the pav bhaji are cooked, mash the vegetables well into it all looks almost smooth and creamy.
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add onions, capsicum, garlic, ginger and sauté until tender on low heat. Add in the tomatoes and sauté until the soft. This will take about 5 minutes.
Next add in the pav bhaji masala, chaat masala and garam masala and sauté for a few minutes until you get a roasted aroma.
Finally add in the mashed vegetables for pav bhaji, salt, butter and lemon juice. Stir pav bhaji until well combined. Take care while adding salt as all the masala’s contain some amount of salt in them.
Turn the heat to low, add the two tablespoons of butter and simmer the pav bhaji masala for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Turn of the heat and stir in the chopped coriander leaves and the steamed peas. Check the spices and adjust to suit your taste.
Toast the pav buns on a skillet with butter and serve.
*Alternative Tasty Tip
This Pav bhaji can be used as a spread on a wheat bread and make a healthy and delicious school snack for children or packed work lunch
Stuff the bhaji in crisp puri’s (the ones used for pani puris); sprinkle some sev and onions and serve as a starter/appetizer