Here is a comforting South Indian Meal Plate filled with Mambazha Mor Kuzhambu, Chickpea Sundal, Beans Poriyal, Phulka, Steamed Rice & Curd. We have kept the plate simple with simple ingredients that are available in season now and are often used in our day to day kitchen.
Mambazha Mor Kuzhambu is one of the dishes that are often prepared in south Indian households. We have used ripened mango as it is the season for mangoes. They are slowly cooked in a spicy coconut flavoured yogurt curry. The curry is quite light and refreshing to be had for a weekday lunch meal. This would not be very heavy on your palate and goes very well with steamed rice.
Next we have added a twist to the usual Beans poriyal by adding some ground peanuts and sesame seeds. Green beans are rich source of Iron and Magnesium and Potassium. They help in boosting the immune system and treats gastrointestinal problems.
We have also added a chickpea sundal, that is a usual snack had during the evening time. We have used black chickpeas in other words called as kala chana which is rich in Iron and protein that is very essential for our day to day functioning of the body. Along with these we have served Steamed rice, Curd and Phulka.
Tips to Plan this meal:
- You can soak the Black Chickpeas beforehand, so that it takes less time to cook. You can even cook the chickpeas and set aside in the evening.
- You can add Brown Rice instead of Plain rice to keep it more nutritious.
- You can add a Vegetable or green leaves Raita instead of Curd to make it more nutritious and tasty.
Below are the quantities we have used for a complete portion control meal. You can use these suggestions based on your dietary requirements. In the portions below, I have Omitted the phulka, as I had just rice along with the meal.
Total Calories: 322 calories
- Mor Kuzhambu- 1/2 Katori
- Beans Poriyal - 1/2 Katori
- Chickpea Sundal- 1/2 Katori
- Steamed Rice - 1/2 Katori
- Curd - 1 Katori
Read the Guidelines for Healthy Eating Using Portion Control to incorporate healthy eating habits into your everyday lifestyle.
When mangoes are the season, here is a delicious recipe that you can try at home with simple ingredients at your kitchen. The ripened mango are soaked in a spicy coconut flavoured yogurt curry and tempered with mustard and curry leaves and top.
If you are looking for more mozh kuzhambu recipe here are some :
- Tirunelveli Style Mor Kuzhambu Recipe
- Pachai Mor Kuzhambu Recipe
- Cucumber Mor Kuzhambu Recipe (Cucumber Curry)
A twist to your usual poriyal recipe by adding some ground peanuts and sesame seeds that goes very well with the tender and and crunchy beans. Green beans are a good source of Iron, magnesium and potassium, which is very important to be included in our everyday diet.
- Beans And Carrot Masala Pulav With Black Eyed Beans Recipe
- Carrot and Beans Poriyal Recipe
- Mixed Beans Salad Recipe
A great way to include protein into your diet is by tossing some cooked black eyed peas with fresh coconut and tempered it with mustard seeds, curry leaves. Black chickpea in other words called as kala chana helps in lowering the cholesterol, and a great source of Iron.
If you are looking for more sundal recipes here are some :
- Huruli Usili Recipe (Kollu Sundal - Steamed Horse Gram Snack)
- Karamani Sundal Recipe (Spicy Tossed Black Eyed Beans Recipe)
- Pattani Sundal Recipe - Green Peas Sundal Recipe
Phulka is a staple bread at every Indian house, they are usually served along with various curries and dry subzis. Phulka is generally made more in the north India where is cooked directly on the heat till it puffs up.
If you are looking for more bread recipes here are some :
- Ragi Wheat Phulka Recipe- Diabetic Friendly Ragi Roti
- Mixed Millet Phulka Recipe - Ragi Jowar Bajra Wheat Phulka
- Jowar Atta Roti Recipe - Sorghum Wheat Phulka Recipe
A cup of steamed rice can be added into your everyday meals in order to have balanced diet. You can as well add brown rice instead of white rice to keep it more healthy. Tossing the rice with some vegetables will also help to increase the nutrients intake.
If you are looking for more Rice recipes here are some :
- Spinach Rice Recipe - Palak Pulao
- Ven Pongal Recipe (South Indian Rice and Lentil Pudding)
- Beetroot Rice Recipe - Beetroot Pulao
Curd or Dahi as it is known popularly is an excellent probiotic that aids in digestion, not only by improving gut activity but also soothing inflamed or upset stomachs.
Nothing beats curd that is cultured at home as it will contain the right bacteria that aids in the probiotic function. It is easy to prepare at home and takes minimal effort.