Here is a portion controlled plate that you can make again for your weekday Lunch. In this wholesome meal we have included a simple Methi Pakora Kadhi, Beetroot Poriyal, Kabuli Chana & Raw Mango Salad, Mixed Millet Phulka & Cucumber & Onion Raita.
Methi Pakora Kadhi is a simple and refreshing curry that can be prepared for summer season. This will keep your palate light. The addition of methi leaves into the pakora is a healthy option and also the pakoras are crisped in a kuzhi paniyaram which is made with less oil.
The Beetroot poriyal is a wonderful way to add a vegetable into your diet. The poriyal has less spice and is just sautéed with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. A sprinkle of just salt is added into the poriyal to bring out the actual flavour of the vegetable. Beetroot is rich in Iron and antioxidants. It is also rich in folic acid and is important to be added into a pregnancy diet.
Our meal plates are always accompanied by a salad to keep the nutrients fresh. We have made white Chickpeas, raw mango & Cucumber salad. The chickpeas are rich in protein and also contain good amount of dietary fibre.
We have also made it diabetic friendly by adding a Mixed millet phulka, which is rich in fibre, Vitamins and Iron. The millets will help in regulating the blood sugar level due to its low glycemic Index. Finally a cup of freshly cut vegetable raita is added to keep it light and refreshing.
Below are the quantities we have used for a complete portion control meal. You can use these suggestions based on your dietary requirements.
Total Calories: 400 calories
- Kadhi Pakora - 1/2 katori
- Beetroot Poriyal - 1/2 Katori
- Kabuli Chana Salad - 1/2 Katori
- Raita - 1 katori
- Phulka - 1 piece
Read the Guidelines for Healthy Eating Using Portion Control to incorporate healthy eating habits into your everyday lifestyle.
Kadhi's are the best way to refresh your palate on summer afternoon. Kadhi's are nothing but simple spicy yogurt curry thickened slightly with besan. We have added a methi pakoda that is dunk in the yogurt mixture which makes it a perfect curry to be had with phulka or other Indian bread.
If you are looking for more Kadhi Recipes here are some :
- Gujarati Kadhi Recipe - Sweet And Spicy Gujarati Kadhi
- Punjabi Kadhi Pakora Recipe
- Punjabi Bhindi Kadhi Recipe - Roasted Okra In Yogurt Curry
Beetroot are the healthiest root vegetable that is locally available in India. With this, we have created a simple stir fry recipe with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Finally freshly grated coconut is added and tossed along with beetroot to create a simple side dish that you can have with roti.
If you are looking for more Beetroot recipes here are some :
- Beetroot Rice Recipe - Beetroot Pulao
- Sweet Potato & Beetroot Kebab Recipe
- Beetroot Raita Recipe (Cold Beet & Yogurt Soup/Salad)
Usually we add Kabuli Chana to the curries to either make a Indian gravy dish or a dry Sukha Sabzi along with another vegetable. But in this recipe we have added it along with chopped raw mango, cucumber and some onions that tossed along with chaat masala powder, red chilli powder and amchur powder to give it a chatpata taste to the salad.
If you are looking for more Chana Recipes here are some :
- Punjabi Chola/ Chana Masala Recipe (North Indian Spiced Chickpea Curry)
- Aloo Chana In Mint Coriander Gravy Recipe
- Chana Chaat Recipe (Chickpea Chat With Fresh Garden Vegetables)
Millet Phulka is a healthy Indian bread that you can include in your everyday diet. It is mix of three different millet flours which are ragi flour, jowar flour, bajra flour which is also mixed with wheat flour. The phulka's are rustic and can be had with any Indian curries.
- Phulka Recipe (Roti/Chapati) - Puffed Indian Bread
- Ragi Wheat Phulka Recipe- Diabetic Friendly Ragi Roti
- Jowar Atta Roti Recipe - Sorghum Wheat Phulka Recipe
Raita is a simple side dish that you can prepare along with your other meals. The curd can be mixed with various fresh vegetables and seasoned with just salt and cumin powder. You can add any vegetable of your choice.
If you are looking for more Raita recipes :
- Mooli Raita Recipe (Spiced Yogurt Salad with Radish)
- Nellikai Pachadi Recipe (Amla/ Gooseberry Raita)
- Cauliflower & Cucumber Raita Recipe (Cauliflower Yogurt Salad)