A lip smacking country style meal, made modern as this healthy Ragi mudde along with Ulavacharu - horse gram curry is served with a dry sabzi- tendli sukke and a crunchy vegetable salad made along with raw mangoes.
This meal is completely suitable for diabetics as it has all those ingredients that are great to be consumed by them to regulate their blood sugar levels.
Ragi is rich in calcium, helps in weight loss, has a high fiber content, battles anemia, reduces blood cholesterol and also regulates blood sugar levels. Because of its low glycemic index, it helps reduce food cravings and slows down absorption of starch, thus helps in regulating the blood sugar for diabetic.
Horsegram is also rich in iron and calcium among other nutrients. It is a poor man's food as it provides a lot of energy for a small portion consumed. If you do not consume ragi in the form of ragi mudde, you can replace it with Ragi Wheat Phulka Recipe- Diabetic Friendly Ragi Roti or Steamed Rice instead.
Eating all of these elements in the right quantities is the key. This meal is packed with nutrients, yet eating the right amount of food is equally important. To eat slowly and mindfully with no distraction and concentrating on your plate should be the only task. ;
Below are the quantities we have used for a complete portion control meal. You can use these suggestions based on your dietary requirements.
Total Calories: 250 calories
- Ragi Mudde - 1 ball
- Ulava Chaaru - 1 Katori
- Salad - 1 katori
- Tendli Sukke - 1/2 katori
Read the Guidelines for Healthy Eating Using Portion Control to incorporate healthy eating habits into your everyday lifestyle.
1. Soft & Delicious Ragi Mudde Recipe - Karnataka Style Ragi Balls
A staple grain in the southern states of India, ragi is widely used. Ragi Mudde is a popular dish that is cooked along with some water, salt and ghee, made into a ball and eaten along with spicy curries.
A bite of the mudde is dipped in these curries that is usually followed, but can also be chewed.
2. Ulava Charu Recipe - Spicy Andhra Horse Gram Rasam
A masaledar horse gram curry, made South Indian style with a freshly ground coconut masala is this Ulava Charu Recipe.
A super healthy lentil that is great for diabetics as well.
Try the other curry recipes that can be eaten along ragi balls:
- Karnataka Style Bassaru Recipe - Dill flavored Coconut Rasam
- Halli Style Mutton Saaru Recipe - South Indian Mutton Curry
- Huli Soppu Saaru Recipe - Karnataka Style Mixed Greens Sambar
3. Konkani Tendli Sukke Recipe - Ivy Gourd/Tindora Stir Fry
A lovely dry dish with simple flavours, yet tastes absolutely delicious, this Tendli Sukke Recipe, is Ivy gourd made Konkani style with coconut as one of its main ingredients.
Try our other dry sabzi recipes:
- Vazhaipoo Podimas Recipe - Banana Flower Poriyal/ Sabzi
- Kathirikai Poondu Pirattal Recipe - South Indian Style Brinjal Stir Fry With Garlic
- Mixed Vegetable Koora Recipe - Mixed Vegetable Poriyal
4. Raw Mango Carrot Cucumber Salad Recipe With Peanuts
A refreshing salad made with raw mangoes, tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers with simple seasoning of salt, cumin powder and chaat masala.
The salad is packed with a whole of nutrients from the vegetables.
Try our other Salad recipes:
- Pudina Pyaz Kachumber Salad Recipe
- Beetroot, Carrot & Cucumber Salad with Peanuts Recipe
- Sliced Indian Cucumber Carrot Tomato & Onion Salad Recipe