Punjabi Mixed Vegetable Kadai Recipe
Punjabi Mixed Vegetable Kadai is a popular restaurant style side dish that goes well with Phulka, Paratha, Naan or any Indian Bread. It is very easy to make and thus perfect for your everyday meals.
Punjabi Mixed Vegetable Kadai is a popular restaurant style side dish that goes well with Phulka, Paratha, Naan or any Indian Bread. It is usually served in kadai.
One can make it dry, semi dry or gravy version. This gravy is made with lightly roasted spices which give an extra flavour to this recipe. It is easy to make and can be made for your everyday meals. You can also pack this for your lunch.
Serve Punjabi Mixed Vegetable Kadai along with Dal Makhani, Palak Raita and Phulka for your everyday meal.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Punjabi Recipes that you can make for your everyday meals:
- 1/4 cup Potatoes (Aloo) , length wise
- 1/4 cup Baby corn , length wise
- 1/4 cup Carrot (Gajjar) , length wise
- 1/4 cup Green beans (French Beans) , length wise
- 1/4 cup Cauliflower (gobi) , chopped
- 1 tablespoon Green peas (Matar)
- 2 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , diced
- 2 Onion , (1 diced +1 chopped)
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder , optional
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt , to taste
- 2 tablespoons Fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons Butter (Salted) , + Oil mixed To saute and grind (Onion - Tomato paste)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1/4 inch Ginger
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3 cloves Garlic For Kadai masala
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 3 Dry Red Chilli , adjustable
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 cloves Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
How to make Punjabi Mixed Vegetable Kadai Recipe
To begin making the Punjabi Mixed Vegetable Kadai Recipe, firstly clean, wash and cut all the vegetables and keep them aside. Dice onions, capsicums and keep them aside too.
Heat 2 cups of water in a saucepan. when it starts boiling switch of the stove and add the vegetables in it. Let the vegetables sit for about 8-10 minutes to speed the cooking process.
The next step is to make the onion tomato paste. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the ingredients under 'to saute and grind' including tomatoes, onions, ginger, green chillies and garlic. Let it cook till the onions and tomatoes turns a little mushy.
Cool down and grind it a fine paste.
The next step is to make the Kadai Masala. Dry roast coriander seeds, red chillies, cinnamon, cloves and elaichi until they turn slightly brown and starts releasing the aroma.
Cool them and grind it in a mixer to a coarse powder.
Heat butter in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Let cumin seeds splutter. Add onion and saute till slightly browned.
Next add the tomato paste and saute well for about 4-5 minutes or till raw smell goes and color changes.
Meanwhile, as the tomato onion paste is getting cooked take another pan add a little oil, roast capsicum, and onion for 2 minutes. Set aside.
Once the raw smell of the tomato onion paste goes and they start leaving oil, add turmeric powder, kasuri methi, grounded kadai masala, garam masala, salt and sugar. Cook for another 2 minutes.
Add sauteed capsicum and onion. When the gravy starts giving a nice aroma, and the consistency is semi thick, add in the blanched veggies and mix well. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Finally add in fresh cream and give a quick mix. Boil once, add chopped coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve Punjabi Mixed Vegetable Kadai Recipe along with Dal Makhani, Palak Raita and Phulka for your everyday meal.