Punjabi Wadi Choliya Ki Sabzi Recipe
Urad dal wadi sabzi
Punjabi Wadi Choliya Ki Sabzi Recipe is a traditional recipe that is made in the North Indian Cuisine. It is very seasonal crop and is usually made when it is sold fresh in its long stalks. The Punjabi choliya recipe is so different from the traditional Punjabi Chana recipe and tastes just as delicious. If you find some fresh Choliya in season, then you must give this a try. If you buy the dried variety, then you should soak the Choliya in water for a few hours and then cook it as desired.
Serve the Punjabi Wadi Choliya Ki Sabzi along with a bowl of rice, papad and achar for a wholesome weeknight dinner.
If you are looking for High Protein recipes then you might like to try
- Always add the yogurt towards the end after switching off the flame. If you plan to serve it later then add the yogurt after reheating the dish and before serving.
- If you are using the pressure cooker, then cook for 2 whistles.
- 1/4 cup Badi (wadi) , lightly crushed
- 300 grams Fresh green chickpeas
- 1/4 cup Homemade tomato puree
- 1 inch Ginger , grated
- 1 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 2 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- Salt , to taste
- Sunflower Oil , to cook
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , small bunch, finely chopped
How to make Punjabi Wadi Choliya Ki Sabzi Recipe
To begin making the Punjabi Wadi Choliya Ki Sabzi Recipe, heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the crushed urad dal wadi to the oil and sauté on low heat till they become crisp and golden. Take care not to burn them. Once done, remove the fried wadis to a bowl and keep aside.
Heat a teaspoon of oil in the same pan. Add the tomato purée, ginger, asafoetida, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chili powder. Sauté and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes until the tomato puree is thick.
Now add the Hara Choliya (Green Chickpeas) and crisp wadi to the pan.
Toss well and add 2 cups of water, salt and bring the Choliya Wadi Sabzi to a brisk boil. Once it comes to a brisk boil, turn the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook till water is reduced to half and hara Choliya is tender and cooked.
Stir in the yogurt and simmer for another minute. Once done, check the salt and spice levels and adjust to suit your taste. Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in the chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Serve the Punjabi Wadi Choliya Ki Sabzi along with a bowl of rice, papad, and achar for a wholesome weeknight dinner.