Stuffed Gilka Recipe (Maharashtrian Style Stuffed Silk Squash)
Stuffed Gilka is a spicy, flavourful side dish that takes the humble Gilka (silk squash) to another level.
Stuffed Gilka is a spicy, flavourful side dish that takes the humble Gilka (silk squash) to another level. The spiced filling mixture is versatile and can be used to stuff other vegetables like brinjals, potatoes, okra etc.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Maharashtrian recipes such as
- 6 Gilka (sponge/silk squash) , cut into about 3 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , as required for garnish (chopped)
- 2 Onions , finely chopped
- 7 cloves Garlic , crushed
- 3 tablespoon Groundnut powder
- 2 tablespoon Sesame powder , roasted
- 2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon Maharashtrian Goda Masala
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery , grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- Salt , to taste
How to make Stuffed Gilka Recipe (Maharashtrian Style Stuffed Silk Squash)
To begin making the Stuffed Gilka, we will first make the stuffing.
In a bowl mix all ingredients mentioned under stuffing. Mix everything properly and keep it aside.
Next, make a slit length wise in each gilka piece without cutting through. Carefully stuff about a tablespoon of the filling inside the cut.
Heat oil in a flat non-stick pan. Add the cumin seeds and the place the stuffed gilka in the pan, cut side up.
Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame. Carefully turn over the pieces and cook on the other side till soft but the pieces are still intact.
Use 1-2 tablespoon water if required for cooking. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.