Tangy & Spicy Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney Recipe
We tend to forgo the vegetable peels most of the times neglecting their nutritional values which are at times higher than the actual vegetable. Ridge gourd is loaded with nutrients such as dietary fiber, vitamin C, zinc, thiamin, iron and magnesium and so is its peel. Comparatively the peel is richer in dietary fiber than the gourd itself. The Tangy & Spicy Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney is a spicy flavorful condiment for steamed rice or idli dosa and makes a delicious spread for the sandwiches too.
Other chutney recipes that you can try are:
- 1 cup Ridge Gourd Skin (Turai/ Peerkangai) , (wash & pat dry)
- 1 tablespoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 3 to 4 Green Chillies
- 4 to 6 sprigs Coriander leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt , to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
How to make Tangy & Spicy Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney Recipe
To begin the preparation of Tangy & Spicy Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney, in a Saucepan add 1 teaspoon of oil, once hot, add chana dal, cumin seeds and fry them until golden. .
Later add the ridge peel, tamarind, green chillies and saute for a couple of minutes.
Turn off the heat and cool it down to room temperature.
In a Grinder add the sauteed, along with turmeric, coriander and salt and grind this to a thick yet smooth paste adding water as required
Make the tempering with cumin, mustard, urad and dry red chilli.
Add the tempering to the chutney.