Thalicha Thayir Sadam Recipe - Spicy Seasoned Curd Rice
A soulful, comforting rice preparation of curd and soft rice is a popular dish across South India. Serve it with some pickle and papad on the side for a comforting meal.
Thalicha Thayir Sadam Recipe also known Seasoned Curd Rice is a staple food of South India. Every family will have their secret ingredient, but overall it's an all time favorite and a meal finisher. If there is not curd rice, then the meal does not get complete for a South Indian family. You could choose to have your curd rice a multiple ways. You can also pair it up with Bisi Bele Bath.
1. Rice + Curd ( My Kids Favorite)
2. Rice + Curd + Salt ( Most Families, everyday meal)
3. Rice + Curd + Seasoning + Fried Chillies (Mor Milagai) (Traditional)
4. Rice + Curd + Seasoning (with fun fruits like Pomegranates, Grapes, Raisins, Roasted Cashewnuts)
Here are few more recipes that are complete only with lots of curd
- 1-1/2 cups Cooked rice
- 3 cups Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1/4 cup Anardana Powder (Pomegranate Seed Powder)
- 1 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- Salt , to taste Ingredients for Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Oil
How to make Thalicha Thayir Sadam Recipe - Spicy Seasoned Curd Rice
To begin making the Thalicha Thayir Sadam Recipe (Spicy Seasoned Curd Rice), make sure you have some cooked rice ready. The rice should be cooked very soft, such that if you place it between your fingers it will mash very easily.
Place the rice in a large mixing bowl. If the rice is a little war, it will help in mashing the rice to a more soft consistency. Add a ladle of yogurt to the rice and using your hands or the Potato Masher mash the rice well to combine it with the yogurt.
Once the rice is mashed well, add the remaining yogurt, green chilies, pomegranates and salt. Stir to combine well and check the salt and adjust to suit your taste.
The next step is to make the seasoning for the Curd Rice. Heat a small Tadka Pan with a teaspoon of oil. Once the oil heats up, add the mustard seeds, the urad dal and allow it to crackle. Once it crackles and the urad dal turns golden, add the curry leaves. Turn off the heat.
Pour the seasoning over the prepared Curd Rice (Thayir Sadam) and give it a stir.
The Thalicha Thayir Sadam Recipe (Spicy Seasoned Curd Rice) is ready to be served chilled for an afternoon lunch.