Turichya Danyanchi Usal (Maharashtrian Style Fresh Green Tuvar/Pigeon Peas Curry)
Turichya Danyanchi Usal is a typical Maharashtrian curry made using seasonal fresh green Tuvar beans.The curry is spiced with the quintessential Maharashtrian spice blend-Goda masala. It is a very simple and easy recipe, the only laborious process is removing the beans from their pods. No onion-garlic version of this recipe also tastes good, so you can skip them if you like.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Maharashtrian recipes such as
- 2 cups Fresh Green Toor Dal (Pigeon Pea)
- 1 Onion , chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 2 Kokum (Malabar Tamarind)
- 1/2 teaspoon Jaggery , grated
- 3/4 teaspoon Maharashtrian Goda Masala
- 2 tablespoons Fresh coconut , grated
- 3 Green Chillies , chopped
- 4 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
- 1 tablespoon Groundnut powder
- Salt , to taste
How to make Turichya Danyanchi Usal (Maharashtrian Style Fresh Green Tuvar/Pigeon Peas Curry)
To begin making Turichya Danyanchi Usal first, coarsely grind cumin, garlic, green chillies and coriander leaves in a mixer. Add a tablespoon of water if required.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and once they splutter add the onion.
Saute till the onion turns translucent. Add the above paste and sauté for a minute.
Add hing, turmeric powder and goda masala. Add tuvar beans and mix well.
Cover and cook on low flame, till the beans are tender. About 12-15 minutes. Stir in between with addition of little water to avoid them from burning.
Add the jaggery, amsul, groundnut powder, salt and some of the coconut (reserve some for garnish).
Mix and add some water (about 1/4-1/2 cup). Cook for 1-2 minutes. Serve hot garnished with the leftover coconut.