Tamil Nadu Style Ulundhu Kuzhambu Recipe - Black Lentil Curry
A delicious and comforting curry made using Black urad dal that is cooked along with medley of brinjal and drumstick. The curry has a high level of protein content in it and is highly nutritious because of the drumstick. You can serve it along with a bowl of steamed rice and vada.
Ulundhu Kuzhambu Recipe is one of the best curries that my mother makes so dearly. It is protein and fibre-rich recipe. The nutritious black gram dal and urad dal has high levels of protein and minerals. They also help reduce cholesterol levels to improve cardiovascular health.My mother uses sesame oil for cooking because of the believed cooling effect that it provides us.
Did you know? Drumstick pods helps to build strong bones, it is very good for pregnant women also. Drumstick pods which are known as moringa in local language is rich in calcium, Iron and vitamins. They are also have properties such purifying the blood, improves digestion and protects against infection.
This Ulundhu Kuzhambu -Black Lentil Curry can be consumed with any Indian breads like rotis, idli or dosas. Plain white rice and Papad (appalam) holds up the flavour of Black Lentil Curry. Since it is easy for digestion, it can be had during dinner. Variation of this curry can also be made with vegetables as an addition.
Here are a few other interesting Indian curries:
- Mangalorean Manoli Curry Recipe (Indian Gherkins Curry)
- Mooga Gathi (Sprouted Moong In Coconut Paste) Recipe
- Pitor Ki Sabzi Recipe
The contest is in association with Preethi Kitchen Appliances.
- 150 grams Black Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant) , slit lengthwise
- 1 Drumstick , chopped into 2-3 inch pieces
- Tamarind , gooseberry sized, soaked in 1/4 cup of water for 15 minutes
- 3 cloves Garlic , peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 2 tablespoons Sesame (Gingelly) Oil , refined oil can be used too
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- Salt , to taste
- Water , to cook Ingredients to Grind:
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut , chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 5 Shallots Ingredients for Tempering
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 2 Shallots , finely chopped
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Curry leaves , finely chopped
How to make Tamil Nadu Style Ulundhu Kuzhambu Recipe - Black Lentil Curry
To begin with making Ulundu Kuzhambu Recipe, we start with grinding the enlisted “Ingredients to Grind” like coconut, cumin seeds and shallots with water to a smooth paste and set aside.
Roast black gram in a pan with a teaspoon of oil for about 5 minutes until a pleasant aroma arises.
Pressure cook urad dal, garlic and hing with 2 cups of water until cooked soft (It takes 2 whistles for me)
Take a thick bottomed pan, add a tablespoon of oil and add chopped shallots. Fry on medium flame till the onions soften and appear cooked.
Add slit brinjals and drumsticks to saute for 2 minutes.
Add in chillies and coriander powders and saute for 2 minutes.
Add a cup of water. Wait till the raw smell disappears, extract the juice from soaked tamarind and add to the boiling mixture.
Add salt to taste and simmer the flame to boil for 5 more minutes.
Take a small pan to temper the ingredients mentioned.
Pour some oil, once the oil is hot, add mustard.
Once they splutter, add chopped shallots.
Saute and allow them to soften, add red chilli and curry leaves.
Serve the Ulundhu Gravy over a serving plate and pour the tempering on top and mix the tempering with Ulundhu Kuzhambu to enjoy it with hot white rice and Papadum or Vada.