Urulaikizhangu Podi Poriyal Recipe (Spicy Potato Sabzi from Tamil Nadu)
Urulaikizhangu Podi Poriyal Recipe is a popular Tamil Nadu recipe in which potato is cooked along with the skin, grated and mixed with dry spices to give it a crumbly texture. This Podi tastes great when mixed with steaming hot rice and ghee. It’s an interesting recipe and you can try making it if you want to experiment something new with potatoes.
Serve Urulaikizhangu Podi Poriyal Recipe along with Tomato Onion Sambar and Steamed rice for a weekday meal.
- 2 Potatoes (Aloo) , boiled along with the skin (do not boil them too soft)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame (Gingelly) Oil To roast and ground
- 1 tablespoon Sesame (Gingelly) Oil
- 6 Dry Red Chillies , adjust according to your taste
- 2 tablespoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 2 tablespoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 tablespoon Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal)
- Asafoetida (hing) , a pinch
- Salt , to taste
How to make Urulaikizhangu Podi Poriyal Recipe (Spicy Potato Sabzi from Tamil Nadu)
To begin making Urulaikizhangu Podi Poriyal Recipe, firstly peel the boiled potatoes and grate them.
In a medium size pan, heat oil and fry all the ingredients given under 'To roast and ground’.
Fry till the lentils/dal turn golden and chillies fragrant. Switch off the heat, cool and grind them to a fine powder along with salt.
Place pan on low heat and add the ground spice powder. Add the grated potato and mix well.
Add one teaspoon oil along the sides of the pan. Keep stirring and cook it for another 2 minutes on low flame. Once it is done, switch off the heat.
Serve Urulaikizhangu Podi Poriyal Recipe along with steamed rice and a dollop of ghee. You can also have it with Whole Wheat Lachha Parathas.