Veg Chilli Milli Recipe
A lip smacking North Indian gravy of mixed vegetables like cabbage, carrot, peas and capsicum in a cashew nut tomato base gravy. Serve with phulka and raita for a delicious lunch or dinner.
Veg Chilli Milli is a North Indian dish with cashew and tomato based gravy. It is made with different vegetables and is spiced with Indian masalas. As the name suggested this dish is a little spicy but you can adjust the spice levels to suit your taste.
The addition of cashews brings out a great depth to the dish and mixed vegetables makes this a very nutritious gravy recipe. You can pack it into yours or your kids lunch boxes as well.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Veg Gravy recipes such as
- 1 cup Cabbage (Patta Gobi/ Muttaikose) , shredded
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , cut into thin strips
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , thinly sliced
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Green peas (Matar)
- 3 tablespoons Cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tablespoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 3 to 4 Green Chillies , slit
- 1-1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 tablespoon Garam masala powder
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , a small bunch finely chopped
- 1/4 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Fresh cream
- Salt , to taste
How to make Veg Chilli Milli Recipe
To begin making the Veg Chilli Milli Recipe, soak cashew in 1/4 cup hot water for 20 to 25 minutes.
After 25 minutes, drain water and add cashews to mixer grinder along with ginger and tomatoes and grind them. to a smooth paste and keep aside.
Now we will make the gravy.
Heat a wok/kadai and add oil. Add bay leaf, green cardamoms, black cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and saute till all spices release a nice aroma.
Once the spices release a nice aroma add chopped onion and ginger garlic paste, saute on medium flame till ginger garlic aroma goes away and onion turns little brown in colour.
Now add tomatoes cashew paste, green chillies, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well and saute it on medium flame till the oil separates from masala.
Once done add the shredded cabbage, carrots, capsicum and green peas. Mix all vegetables with masala and saute for 5 to 6 minutes.
Once the vegetables are half done add water and salt to taste. Mix well and cover the lid.
Cook Veg Chilli Milli on medium flame for 10 minutes till vegetables are cooked properly.
Add more water if needed but make sure gravy should not be thin.
Once vegetables are cooked then add garam masala, fenugreek leaves and sugar. Mix everything well.
Bring the Veg Chilli Milli to a brisk boil and add cream, garnish with coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
Transfer Veg Chilli Milli to a serving bowl and serve hot.