Vegan Kofta Curry Recipe
This Vegan Kofta Curry is a healthy vegetarian main course dish. Veggie loaded koftas are dunked in a flavour-some onion-tomato based gravy, that does not include any dairy products be it cream, yogurt or ghee. A great dish to be served at parties or to include in your everyday meals.
A popular Indian main course dish, this Vegan Kofta Curry is made with absolutely no cream, yogurt or ghee.
The koftas are loaded with everyday veggies like carrots, capsicum, potatoes, peas and bottle gourd, flavoured with some green chillies and salt. These koftas are a great way to sneak in veggies in to your family's diet. They are made using minimal oil since they are fried in the paniyaram pan over being deep fried.
The gravy is a classic onion-tomato based one, which tastes fabulous with these vegan koftas.
Finish of the meal with Sabudana Kheer Recipe - Tapioca Pearl Milk Pudding for dessert.
If you like this recipe, take a look at more similar recipes
For The Koftas
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , peeled and grated
- 100 grams Bottle gourd (lauki) , peeled and grated
- 2 Potatoes (Aloo) , boiled and mashed
- 1/4 cup Green peas (Matar) , steamed and mashed
- 1/2 Green capsicum , finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Gram flour (besan)
- 1 Green Chilli , finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Cumin powder (Jeera) , roasted
- Salt , to taste
- 1 teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) For the Gravy
- 1/4 cup Cashew nuts , soaked in hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 1 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 2 Onions , finely chopped
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Jaggery , crushed
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 6 Tomatoes , made into puree
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- Salt , to taste
How to make Vegan Kofta Curry Recipe
To begin making the Vegan Kofta Curry, we will start by making the Koftas.
For the koftas, prep all the ingredients and keep them ready.
Into a large mixing bowl, add the grated carrots, grated bottle gourd, mashed potatoes, steamed peas and finely chopped capsicum, green chilli, besan, salt, jeera powder and amchur powder and salt to taste. Combine all the ingredients well and ensure you get a mashed texture. A little bit of coarseness is ok.
Heat a paniyaram pan on medium heat, and add a few drops of oil in each cavity.
Make lemon sized balls of the vegan koftas, and pan fry them in the paniyaram pan until well cooked and golden on all sides. Set aside.
For the kofta gravy, make a smooth paste of the cashew nuts along with 1/4 cup of water and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat; add cumin seeds, garlic, ginger, onions, cinnamon stick, green cardamom and cloves. Saute this mixture for about 4-6 minutes, or until the onions turn into a light brown colour.
Next add in the tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, jaggery and salt. Cover and cook until the tomatoes for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cashew paste and mix well to combine.
Now adjust the consistency of the Vegan Kofta Curry by adding a little water and adjust the seasoning by adding salt or spices according to suit your taste.
Finally stir in the kasuri methi and turn off the heat.
When you are ready to serve the Vegan Kofta Curry, add the kofta balls into the gravy and give the curry a brisk boil for a couple of minutes
Garnish the Vegan Kofta Curry with fresh chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Serve Vegan Kofta Curry along with Phulka Recipe, Dhaba Style Spicy Ghee Rice Recipe, Satvik Carrot Sprouts Salad Recipe and Boondi Raita Recipe. End the meal with a delicious Sabudana Kheer Recipe for dessert.