Vegetable Handi Biryani Recipe
Rice preparation in a huge Handi made by layering the vegetable masala at the bottom and flavoured rice on top and cooked.
Vegetable Handi Biryani Recipe is a traditionally followed recipe of cooking rice preparation in a huge Handi and thus the name. “Handi” refers to the vessel in which the biryani is cooked, authentically, the biryani is made in two ways. The rice cooked is par boiled with some flavorful spice and the masala for the biryani is made separately. Then they both are layered in a huge handi and sealed with a lid. The edges of the lid are then closed tightly by a wheat dough so that the rice completely cooks in the heat that is generated inside.
If you are looking for more Rice Recipes here are some :
For the Rice
- 2 cups Rice , soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 cup Milk For the Chana Masala
- 1 cup Kala Chana (Brown Chickpeas) , soaked overnight and pressure cooked till done
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , chopped small
- 250 grams Green beans (French Beans) , chopped small
- 1 Onion , chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic , chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , chopped
- 2 Tomatoes , chopped
- 1 Green Chilli , slit
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 tablespoon Garam masala powder
- 1 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , to serve For milk mixture
- 1 cup Milk
- 6 Saffron strands Dough mixture
- 1 cup Wheat Berries/ Whole Wheat
How to make Vegetable Handi Biryani Recipe
To begin making the Vegetable Handi Biryani Recipe, we will first keep a pressure cooker on a medium flame. Add ghee, once it starts to melt add all the spice.
Add your soaked rice with 1 cup milk and 3 cups of water. Sprinkle little salt and pressure cook it for 2 whistle.
Heat a sauce pan with oil, add onions, garlic, ginger and saute until it softens. Add carrots and green beans and saute until the vegetables are cooked.
Add tomatoes and sprinkle little salt so that the tomatoes get cooked quickly. Once the tomatoes become mushy add all the spice powders and give it a toss.
Finally add curd and cooked chana and mix well. Cook until all the masala comes together. Season it well with salt. Keep it aside.
Heat the milk and saffron mixture in a microwave oven till it the milk is luke warm.
Mix water with whole wheat flour to form a firm dough and keep it ready.
Take out a Handi or a casserole, add the channa masala mixture at the bottom, layer it with your flavored rice. Pour saffron flavored milk on top and sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves.
Cover it with a lid. Roll the dough to form a long cylindrical rope. Cover the edges of the lid tightly with the dough. Make sure the heat does not come out.
Cook in simmer or low heat for about 15 minutes and then serve.