Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Amaranth Fruitcake Cookie Recipe
The Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Amaranth Fruitcake Cookie Recipe, is free from all purpose flour, filled with heart-healthy whole grains like whole wheat flour, oats, amaranth along with omega-3 rich flax, delicious walnuts and dark chocolate. And spruced up with left-over Christmas rum soaked dried fruit and nut.
The Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Amaranth Fruitcake Cookie make perfect bites for Valentine's Day!
- 1-1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Instant Oats (Oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup Rajgira Flour (Amaranth Flour)
- 1 tablespoon Flax seed powder (flax meal)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder , slightly heaped
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda , slightly heaped
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar (Demerara Sugar) , adjustable
- 3/4 cup Dry Fruits , rum soaked
- 1/4 cup Walnuts , coarsley chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Dark Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cup Sunflower Oil
- 1 Whole Eggs , beaten ( Mashed banana to replace egg)
- 5 tablespoons Milk
How to make Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Amaranth Fruitcake Cookie Recipe
To begin the Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Amaranth Fruitcake Cookie Recipe, preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
Mix together the flours, oats, ground flax, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, rum soaked fruits, walnuts and chocolate chips in a large bowl.
In another bowl, whisk/beat together the egg, (If using mashed banana instead of egg do not add it during this step. Add it during the above step with the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.) oil & milk together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. Mix the mixture together well with either a fork or a whisk or a wooden spoon to make a soft but not sticky dough.
Shape cookies and arrange well apart on the greased baking sheet; flatten the tops down slightly with a fork. Transfer the biscuits to a preheated oven and bake for 10 -12 mins until golden. (oven times may vary)
Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 2-3 mins on the baking sheet.
Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool. Serve the Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Amaranth Fruitcake Cookie cold or store in an airtight container to serve later.
Make sure all excess liquid from the rum soaked fruits are drained.
These cookies are soft cakey cookies. So don't worry if you don't achieve the usual cookie texture.