Whole Wheat Zucchini Cake Recipe
Whole Wheat Zucchini Cake is a delicious sweet and crunchy cake made with zucchini as the main ingredient, this is a brilliant tea time cake that you can pack even in your kid's snack box.
So after trying out various savoury dishes made with zucchini, this time I thought of making a Zucchini cake. This wholesome cake contains the goodness of whole wheat flour, eggs, yogurt and of course zucchini. The use of yogurt along with the zucchini makes this cake incredibly soft and moist.
You can also add some walnuts or chocolate chips as per your liking. Zucchini has a lot of water content in it. So it's important to take out the excess moisture before adding it to your cake batter. Enjoy it with your cup of tea or coffee, or just as a snack. You can also put it in your kids lunch box.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other cake recipes such as
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini)
- 3/4 cup Sugar , powdered
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1/4 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt) , thick
- 1 cup Green zucchini , grated with peel (squeeze the grated zucchini to take out excess moisture, then measure 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Walnuts , (chopped) or chocolate chips (optional)
How to make Whole Wheat Zucchini Cake Recipe
To begin making the Whole Wheat Zucchini Cake recipe, put the oven on preheat at 180°C and grease your cake mould with oil.
In a bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon powder. Sift this dry mixture through a fine sieve and keep it aside.
In a separate bowl, add eggs and beat with an electric beater at high speed for a minute. You can use a hand whisk also. Add sugar to the beaten eggs and again beat at high till the mixture becomes pale and fluffy.
Once it is done, add oil, curd, and vanilla essence to the egg mixture and beat at medium speed till well combined.
Next, gradually add the sifted flour mixture and beat at the lowest speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
With the help of a spatula, fold in the grated zucchini until well incorporated. If using walnuts or chocolate chips, add them also along with the zucchini.
Pour the batter into the prepared mould and bake at 180°C for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
1. Do remember to squeeze out the excess moisture from the grated zucchini before you measure it and put it in your cake batter.
2. It takes 30-35 minutess to bake in a ring shaped mould. If baking in a regular round or square pan, then it will take around 40 mins. Baking times also vary with different ovens. Hence best way to check if the cake is done is to insert a toothpick or a knife and if it comes out clean then the cake is done.
3. If you are adding walnuts or chocolate chips to the cake batter, then first coat them in a teaspoon of dry flour and then add them to the batter. This way they will not sink to the bottom of the mould.