Aama Vadai ,Masala Paruppu Vadai Recipe - Spiced Fried Lentil Fritters
Aama Vadai Or Masala Vadai Is a popular South Indian street food recipe which you can see being sold in most streets in the evening. These vadai are made with a combination of lentils and spices and are delicious.
Aama Vadai or the Masala Vadai is a very traditional dish that is made during the tamil new year. Made from a variety of lentils and spiced with green chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves and coriander makes it absolutely delectable. This vadai is also a very popular street food snack of South India.
If you are looking for more fritter recipe here are some :
- Vegetable Bajji Recipe (Pakora/Fritters)
- Kunukku | South Indian Spicy Lentil Fritters
- Vegetable Dal Pakora Recipe (Dal Bajiya/ Spicy Lentil Fritters)
- 1/4 Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 2 tablespoons Rice
- 1/4 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal)
- 1/4 cup White Urad Dal (Whole)
- 1 Onion , finely chopped (optional)
- 4 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf) , coarselypounded
- 2 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- 2 sprig Curry leaves , finely chopped
- Salt , to taste
- Oil , for deep frying
How to make Aama Vadai ,Masala Paruppu Vadai Recipe - Spiced Fried Lentil Fritters
To begin making the Aama Vadai (Masala Paruppu Vadai) Recipe, soak the channa dal in water for about an hour. Drain and keep aside. We will not be grinding this along with the other lentils.
Soak the rice, urad dal, toor dal for about one hour. Once soaked well, drain the water. and blend the soaked lentils along with red chillies, asafoetida powder and salt into a very coarse batter. Do not add any water to grind into a batter. You want the batter to be of thick shaping consistency.
Transfer the Masala Paruppu Vadai batter to a bowl, soaked channa dal, the chopped fennel seeds, chopped onions, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Stir to combine all the ingredients well.
Preheat the oil for deep frying. With the heat on low, shape the batter into 2 inch size patties and drop them gently into the hot oil. Add 3 to 4 patties at a time and deep fry them on low heat until it is browned and crisp.