Aloo Poha Recipe - Batata Poha
Here is an absolutely easy to make breakfast recipe with potatoes, peas and poha. All it takes is 20 minutes and you will have a fresh hot breakfast ready. Serve the aloo poha along with a hot cup of adrak chai and bhujia by the side.
Aloo Poha also known as the Batata Poha brings with it delicious tastes and textures of sweetness, sourness, softness and crunchiness. It is made tangy and spicy from green chillies and lemon juice along with boiled potatoes that further enhances the texture.
It is a popular breakfast dish in Maharashtra and there are many different types of poha recipes available.
When serving the Aloo Poha, sprinkle Chevdo and freshly peeled pomegranates over it. The crunchiness of the Chevdo along with the sweet juices of the pomegranate makes this dish delectable.You can also add sprouts and steamed corn to the poha to make it even more nutritious.
Note: Choosing a thicker variety of the flattened rice is better than the very thin variety. I use a medium thick variety that comes labeled as ‘organic’ in India.
If you like Indian Breakfast recipes, then you will love some of our favorites-
- Godumai Dosai
- Bajra & Dal Cheela Recipe
- Masala Akki Roti Recipe
- Mixed Sprouts Coriander Dosa
- Maharashtrian Vegetable Amboli
Aloo Poha Recipe - Batata Poha
- 2 cups Poha (Flattened rice)
- 2 Potatoes (Aloo) , boiled, peeled & cubed
- 1/4 cup Green peas (Matar) , steamed
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves , finely chopped
- 2 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies , slit lengthwise
- 2 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 2 Lemons , juice extracted
- 2 tablespoon Roasted Peanuts (Moongphali)
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Fresh Pomegranate Fruit Kernels , to serve
- Salt , to taste Alternative Ingredients: You can use the following ingredients in addition to the potatoes
- 1/2 cup Sweet corn , steamed
- 1/2 cup Green Moong Sprouts
How to make Aloo Poha Recipe - Batata Poha
To begin making the Aloo Poha Recipe-Batata Poha Recipe, we will first rinse the poha or flattened rice under cold water and drain any excess water. Using a large strainer for washing helps ease the rinsing process. Transfer the rinsed rice to a large bowl; stir in the turmeric, salt, sugar, asafoetida and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat; add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
Once the seeds have crackle stir in the onions, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and sauté until the onions are tender and become translucent. Now stir in the potatoes and sauté for a couple of minutes till potatoes are cooked.
Once done gradually stir in the flattened rice mixture into the onion and potato mixture.
Sprinkle about 3 tablespoons of water and gently stir to combine all the ingredients. T
urn the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes. You will notice the flattened rice has fluffed up a little.
Once the poha is done turn off heat and stir in the freshly squeezed lemon juice, steamed peas, roasted peanuts and chopped coriander leaves. Let the aloo poha sit covered for another minute.