Amritsari Murgh Makhani Recipe- Chicken Makhani Recipe
Make this Amritsari Murgh Makhani Recipe and serve it along with Pudina Paratha, Matar Ki Tehri and Mooli Raita for a Indian lunch or dinner or serve it as a party for the main course.
Amritsar Murgh Makhani Recipe is a wonderful recipe that can be made for your Sunday Lunch. The gravy is made with ground onion masala that is roasted well in the kadai and then balanced with some tangy tomato puree. This will give the gravy a rich and delicious texture. Then the chicken pieces are cooked in this gravy till all the flavor is developed.
The most unique element about this recipe is that it uses the Amritsari version of Garam Masala powder which lifts up the whole dish.
If you are looking for more Chicken Curry and Gravy Recipes here are some of your favorites
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 cup Homemade tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons Fresh cream
- 5 Cashew nuts , for garnish
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , a few chopped
- Salt , to taste
- Oil For Amritsar Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Dry ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg powder For Chicken/Murgh Marination
- 300 grams Chicken breasts , cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice Onion Ginger Garlic Masala
- 2 Onions , roughly chopped
- 1 Green Chilli , roughly chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , roughly chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic
How to make Amritsari Murgh Makhani Recipe- Chicken Makhani Recipe
To begin making the Amritsari Murgh Makhani Recipe, firstly let’s make the Amritsari Garam Masala powder and keep it ready.
In a flat skillet dry roast all of the whole spices- coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf, green cardamom, black cardamom, whole black peppercorns, dry ginger powder, nutmeg powder on low heat for 6-8 minutes. Turn off the flame.
Allow the spices to cool, transfer into a mixer-jar and grind to form a fine powder.
Into a mixing bowl, add the chicken pieces, turmeric powder, Amritsari Garam Masala powder, yogurt and salt. Mix well and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
To make the onion ginger garlic masala, in a mixer-jar combine, onions, green chilli, ginger and garlic. Grind to make a smooth paste without adding any water.
Heat a kadai with oil on medium flame, add the onion ginger garlic masala and saute till the onions are cooked and the raw smell goes away. This will take about 3-4 minutes.
Next add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and saute for a minute. Add pureed tomatoes and sprinkle with little salt and cook until the tomatoes come to a single boil.
Give it a stir and add the marinated chicken pieces along with it's marinade and cook until the chicken is well done. This takes about 20 minutes to cook the chicken on low to medium heat. Ensure you cover the pan, add a little water and then cook the chicken. Keep stirring it intermittently, so the masala gets well combined into the Amritsari Murgh Gravy.
Finally add cream and give it a stir. Check for salt and serve it hot by garnishing it with cashew nuts and coriander leaves.
Amritsari Murgh Makhani Recipe- Chicken Makhani Recipe is part of the Indian Curry And Gravy Recipe Contest