Amritsari Chole Recipe (White Chickpeas In Spicy Gravy)
Amritsari Chole is a variation from the normal chole recipe. You can normally find them dhabas and restaurant. In this recipe, we are using chickpeas that are cooked in tomatoes and onion gravy with a whole lot of Indian Spices. It is a favourite of many and is enjoyed with roti.
Here are other chickpea recipes which you will like.
- 1 cup Kabuli Chana (White Chickpeas) , soaked overnight, washed, drained and cooked (with 1 black tea bag till soft) For the tomato puree:
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Green Chillies For the chole masala:
- 2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon Ghee , or butter
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 5 to 6 Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Chana Masala Powder
- 1 Onion , chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- 1 teaspoon Garlic , grated
- 1 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , as required, for garnishing
- Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) , as required, for garnishing
How to make Amritsari Chole Recipe (White Chickpeas In Spicy Gravy)
To begin with, the Amritsari Chole first, make a puree of the tomato and green chilies and keep aside.
In a large kadai or deep saucepan, heat the oil and ghee.
Add the whole spices (star anise, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and methi) and fry for a few seconds
Stir in the onions and hing and fry for about a minute till they turn soft.
Add the tomato paste and cook for a few minutes till it thickens.
Stir in all the masala powders (except the chaat masala) and sauté till the oil separates.
Pour in the cooked chickpeas along with the water in which it was cooked, black cardamom, chaat masala and salt and mix well.
Taste the gravy for salt and sourness and if needed add more salt or chaat masala.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes.