Amritsari Sookhi Dal Recipe
Dal/ lentils is full of proteins. This Punjabi dal is made using the urad dal/husked and split black gram. Urad dal is rich in iron, calcium, magnesium, folic acid and specially beneficial for women. Punjabi Cuisine is popular for it's spiciness and this dish is no different. Lots of green chillies is used in this Dal. This dal is a traditional dish where the urad dal is cooked along with onions, tomatoes and masalas into a dry sabji. Cilantro leaves are used generously to flavour this dish. A flavourful and protein packed side dish.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Dal recipes such as
- 1/2 cup Black Urad Dal (Split)
- 2 Onions , thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 3 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger , grated
- 1/2 cup Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- Salt , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi) For tempering
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- Asafoetida (hing) , a pinch For garnish
- 1/4 cup Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
How to make Amritsari Sookhi Dal Recipe
To begin making the Amritsari Sookhi Dal recipe, firstly wash the urad dal thrice and soak them in water for 30 minutes.
Heat a kadai/wok with oil and temper with ingredients given under 'For tempering'.
Now add the green chillies, garlic and the onions. Add salt and cook the onions till they turn transparent.
Now, add the tomatoes, spice powders and cook them over low flame till the tomatoes become mushy.
Add the soaked urad dal along with the water used for soaking.
Cover and cook the dal it is is cooked well and the excess water is drained.