Andhra Style Dondakaya Menthi Karam Koora Recipe
Andhra Style Dondakaya Menthi Karam Koora is a stir fried Ivy Gourd recipe flavoured with freshly made menthi karam. Serve this delicious sabzi along with Steamed Rice Recipe, and Andhra Style Vendakaya Charu Recipe.In association with Preethi Kitchen Appliances
Andhra Style Dondakaya Menthi Karam Koora Recipe has been in my family since generations. Packed with flavours, this recipe goes well with steamed rice for lunch or dinner.
This is a side dish that you can make even when you have less hand at time, since this is just a stir fry with recommended spices. Make this dry sabzi with dondakaya or ivy gourds for weekday dinners.
If you like this recipe, take a look at more Andhra Recipes which you can make for your everyday meals:
- 250 grams Tindora (Dondakaya/ Kovakkai)
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil , (adjust)
- Salt , to taste
- 1/2 cup Water For preparation of Menthi Karam
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 1 tablespoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 3 Dry Red Chilli , (adjust)
- Tamarind , gooseberry size
- 2 tablespoons Raw Peanuts (Moongphali) , (optional)
How to make Andhra Style Dondakaya Menthi Karam Koora Recipe
To begin making Andhra Style Dondakaya Menthi Karam Koora Recipe, make Dondakaya/Tindora into 4 slices vertically.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add sliced Tindora, salt and water, cook covered untill soft. Alternatively, you can steam the slices and add them to pan.
After dondakaya (tindora) turns soft, remove pan and keep aside.
In the mea while, dry roast the ingredients for menthi karam which includes coriander seeds, chana dal, urad dal, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds, dry red chilli and raw peanuts except tamarind.
This will take about 2 minutes. Make sure you do not burn them.
Let the mixture cool down and powder along with tamarind using a mixer grinder.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Once the oil is hot add, tindora and fry it for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the ground powder, salt to taste to dondakaya and give it a mix.
Andhra Style Dondakaya Menthi Karam Koora Recipe is part of the Festival Recipes Contest