Awadhi Khaas Nihari Recipe
Khaas Nihari is a slow cooked stew Recipe made with either beef or lamb cooked with its bone marrow, originated from Mughal or Awadhi cuisine. Authentically, Nihari is cooked in a vessel that is buried underground while it cooks overnight, which helps the recipe with very tender morsels of meat, infused with the flavourful bone marrow. Awadhi Khaas Nihari can be made with shanks and feet of beef or lamb. Typically garnished with coriander and ginger julienne to taste, Awadhi Khaas Nihari is served with Roomali roti or butter garlic naan and rice.
If you like this recipe, here are more recipes from the same cuisine
- 1 kg Mutton , (I used shanks)
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic , crushed
- 1 teaspoon Onion , sauteed and ground
- 3 tablespoons Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 2 teaspoon Rose water
- 1/2 teaspoon Saffron strands , soaked in milk for 10 minutes
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , small bunch, for garnish
- 1-1/2 inch Ginger , julienne, for garnish Whole spices:
- 4 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta) For seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons Garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- Salt , to taste For Whole Wheat Dough (for dum)
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- Water , as required
How to make Awadhi Khaas Nihari Recipe
To prepare Awadhi Khaas Nihari Recipe, firstly slowly add water into the whole wheat flour and make a tight dough. This dough is to seal the vessel. Once it is ready, keep it aside.
Heat oil in a wok/ pan and add whole spices (green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, black cardamom and bay leaves.
Now add the meat and saute for 6-7 minutes.
Add salt and turmeric and mix well. Pour in the water, cover the pan and cook.
When it comes to a boil, immediately add ginger- garlic paste, coriander powder, red chilli and onion paste.
Now add nicely whisked yogurt, rose water , garam masala, nutmeg and cinnamon powder and saffron soaked milk/water.
Cover the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Now transfer the prepared meat mix in a broad base heavy bottom vessel/ handi.
Cover the with a lid and seal it with the wheat dough and leave to cook on slow fire. This may take 1.5- 2 hours.
Once the meat is cooked till tender, garnish with fresh coriander and ginger juliennes.