Beerakaya Tomato Koora Recipe (Andhra Style Ridge Gourd Curry)
Beerakaya Tomato Koora Recipe is a delectable Andhra style ridge gourd cooked in a tomato based gravy. It is spicy and colourful. Ridge gourd is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and calories that aids in weight loss. Ridge gourd juice is used to heal jaundice and to strengthen the immune system against any infection.
Serve the Beerakaya Tomato Koora Recipe along with Phulkas or Steamed Rice with Elai Vadam for a light weekday lunch.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Andhra recipes such as
- 4 Ridge Gourd (Turai/ Peerkangai) , cut into cubes
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 3 Tomatoes , ripe, finely chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic , roughly pounded in pester and mortar
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery , powdered
- 2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds) , roasted and powdered
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf) , powdered
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- Asafoetida (hing) , A pinch
- 5 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped for garnish
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- Salt , to taste
How to make Beerakaya Tomato Koora Recipe (Andhra Style Ridge Gourd Curry)
To begin making Beerakaya Tomato Koora Recipe, wash, scrape the outer hard skin of the ridge gourd and cut them into small cubes and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan on medium flame, add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
Add the asafoetida powder, curry leaves and red chilli and let it splutter.
Now roughly pound the garlic cloves using a pestle and mortar and add it to the pan and saute until the garlic turns golden.
Add the finely chopped onion and saute until it turns translucent.
Add the chopped tomatoes and saute well.
To this add the red chilli, coriander, turmeric, season with salt and saute until the oil separates out.
Now, add the cubed ridge gourds, mix well and let the ridge gourd cook in its own juices for 5 minutes.
Once the ridge gourd is cooked, add the jaggery, fennel seeds and roasted fenugreek seeds powder and mix well.
Let it simmer for another 5 minutes, once the gravy becomes thick switch off the flame.
Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve the Beerakaya Tomato Koora Recipe along with Phulkas or Steamed Rice with Elai Vadam for a light weekday lunch.