Bihari Makhana Aur Matar Sabzi Recipe
Bihari Makhna Aur Matar Sabzi Recipe is a delicious side dish made with makhana and green peas. The panch phoran adds a beautiful flavour to the dish. Enjoy with dal roti on a weeknight dinner.
Makhana also known as Fox Nuts or Lotus Seeds, are a fasting food. They are largely grown in the state of Bihar in India, and used widely in its cuisine. Makhana are very nutritious with high amount of dietary fibres and proteins, hence it is good to include in our diets. Bihari Makhna Aur Matar Sabzi Recipe is a delicious side dish made with makhana and green peas. The panch phoran adds a beautiful flavour to the dish.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Makhana recipes such as
- 1 cup Phool Makhana (Lotus Seeds)
- 1-1/2 cups Green peas (Matar) , blanched
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 5 Cloves (Laung) , roughly pounded
- 1 Tomato , finely chopped
- 1 Green Chilli , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kalonji (Onion Nigella Seeds)
- 2 teaspoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped for garnish
- 2 teaspoon Sunflower Oil , or as required
- Salt , to taste
How to make Bihari Makhana Aur Matar Sabzi Recipe
To begin making the Bihari Makhna Aur Matar Sabzi Recipe, blanch the green peas in hot water and keep aside.
Dry roast the makhana on medium heat for 5 minutes and keep aside.
Heat oil in the same pan, add the pan poran masala, cumin, mustard, fenugreek, fennel and nigella seeds and saute till the spices become fragrant.
Add the onions and saute until it turns translucent.
Roughly pound the garlic cloves using a mortar and pestle and add it to the pan. Saute till the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
Add the tomatoes, a pinch of salt and saute until the tomatoes turn mushy. Once the tomatoes are mushy add the red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala and mix well.
Now add the blanched green peas, season with salt and cook for 3 minutes. Add the roasted makhana and mix well.
Cook Bihari Makhna Aur Matar Sabzi for another 3 minutes, switch off the heat.
Remove Bihari Makhna Aur Matar Sabzi into a serving bowl and garnish with the coriander leaves.