Cabbage Palya Recipe
Cabbage Palya has many interpretations and versions of the same in different regions of the country and each one is lip-smackingly delicious. It is prepared with the pre-cooked cabbage tossed in garlic and tomatoes.
Cabbage Palya is best served with steamed rice and mixed vegetable sambar, or as a tiffin box dish with chapatis.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other dry vegetable recipes such as
The contest is in association with Preethi Kitchen Appliances.
- 2 cups Cabbage (Patta Gobi/ Muttaikose) , finely shredded
- 1 Tomato , finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Onion , finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Garlic , minced
- 2 Green Chillies , chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut , grated
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- Curry leaves , Few
- 2 tablespoons Mustard oil
- Salt , as required
How to make Cabbage Palya Recipe
To begin making the Cabbage Palya recipe, cook shredded cabbage in boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes or until it is slightly transparent and drain excess water using a colander.
Heat mustard oil in a wide pan, add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
Once it crackles, add hing, curry leaves, green chillies and garlic. Saute it until the garlic changes its colour slightly.
Add the onions and a tiny bit of salt and let it cook until it turns slightly golden.
At this stage add the cabbage and add the required salt and mix well and cook until you see it drying. This shouldn't take too long.
Now add the chopped tomato, grated coconut and coriander. Mix well and cook covered until the tomato becomes soft. Dish it out into bowl and serve.
Cabbage Palya is best served with steamed rice and mixed vegetable sambar, or as a tiffin box dish with chapattis.