Capsicum Thokku Recipe
No onion no garlic bell pepper accompaniment
Capsicum Thokku/Capsicum Chutney is an excellent side dish from capsicum which tastes great with anything and everything. Also, since no water has been added, it stays good for 3-4 days without fridge. Ideal for when you are travelling.
Since no onion no garlic has been added, the Capsicum Thokku can also be made during the festive seasons.
The Capsicum Thokku can be served as a side dish with various Indian breads or with hot steamed rice topped with ghee.
Other similar recipes that you can try are:
- 4 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum)
- 1 Amla (Nellikai/ Gooseberry)
- 2 teaspoons Tamarind Paste
- Salt , to taste To roast and powder(masala):
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 6-10 Dry Red Chillies To temper:
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- Asafoetida (hing) , A pinch
- Curry leaves , A few
How to make Capsicum Thokku Recipe
To begin the preparation of Capsicum thokku, first wash and roughly chop the capsicums and grind them semi coarsely in a mixer and keep aside.
In a small pan, add few drops of oil and all the ingredients mentioned under to roast and powder. Fry till they are crisp and then fine powder the spices in a mixer .
In a kadai, take oil, add mustard seeds and once they splutter, add curry leaves, hing and turmeric powder. To the tempering, add coarsely ground capsicum, the masala powder, tamarind extract and salt. Mix everything well.
Saute the chutney for 5-10 minutes with stirring in between. Let it boil well and get a nice taste and color. Don't add any extra water .
The Capsicum Thokku is ready to be relished with Indian breads or with hot steamed rice topped with ghee.