Carrot Cake Parfait With Custard And Strawberries Recipe
Moist chunks of carrot cake (with whole wheat) layered with creamy custard and a bright berry licious strawberry compote!
Moist chunks of carrot cake (with whole wheat) layered with creamy custard and a bright berry licious strawberry compote! Easy to assemble and a gorgeous sight to behold, it is an ideal dessert for any time!
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Parfait recipes such as
- This parfait can be made several hours in advance.
- Feel free to substitute any fruit for the strawberries; cherries, blueberries, pineapple, mangoes etc.
- For additional crunch, sprinkle chopped or crumbled biscuits (any of your favorite) or even more nuts in between the parfait layers.
- If you do not have or like custard, you can use whipped cream (even store-bought).
- You can use any store bought cake for an easier version.
For the carrot cake
- 1/2 cup Sugar , granulated
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar (Demerara Sugar)
- 3/4 cup Sunflower Oil
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini) , 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Carrots (Gajjar) , shredded
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup Walnuts , chopped
- 1/4 cup Badam (Almond) , silvered For the custard
- 2 cups Milk
- 4 teaspoons Custard powder , vanilla flavoured
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 15 Strawberries
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice Additional toppings
- Strawberries , as required
- Walnuts , as required
- Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini) , as required
How to make Carrot Cake Parfait With Custard And Strawberries Recipe
To begin making the Carrot Cake Parfait With Custard And Strawberries recipe, firstly we will make the carrot cake.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Centigrade. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch pan and keep aside.
In a bowl, beat sugars, oil and eggs with a beater until well blended. Stir in flours, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and blend again on low speed for a minute.
Fold in carrots and raisins (you can add nuts at this stage as well). Pour into prepared pan, level the batter and bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
Remove from oven and remove from pan after 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
The next step is to make the custard. In a small bowl, place 1/4 cup of milk and stir in custard powder. Mix well until smooth; ensure there are no lumps. Keep aside.
Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan on medium heat and bring to a boil. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Tip in the custard milk mixture into the hot mixture and keep stirring until it comes to a boil and the mixture thickens. Simmer for a minute, remove from heat and let cool.
Keep stirring while it is cooling or it will form a thick film on top. Let cool completely.
Next, we will make the strawberry compote. Wash and chop strawberries into 2 to 3 pieces.
Sprinkle sugar and heat in a saucepan on medium heat, stirring often for about a minute until slightly cooked and mushy. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and let cool. Keep aside.
Now we will assemble the carrot cake trifle. Break up carrot cake into chunks that fit into the dessert bowl or glass you will be serving the parfait in.
Assemble all the elements of the parfait; carrot cake chunks, cooled custard, strawberry compote, nuts and cinnamon powder.
In each dessert glass, layer a few carrot cake chunks at the bottom. Pour a few teaspoons of strawberry compote over it to cover the cake.
Gently spoon custard over the compote and spread evenly. Repeat the layers to fill the dessert glass finishing with custard on top.
Sprinkle chopped walnuts and cinnamon powder on top. Cover each parfait glass with cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until serving time. Just before serving, garnish with strawberry and serve.