Chettinad Beetroot Kurma Recipe
Chettinad Beetroot Kurma Recipe is a delicious beetroot curry cooked using the aromatic spices. The use of freshly roasted and ground Chettinad masala makes it very delectable. Beetroot is known for having antioxidant properties making it beneficial for skin, hair and health over all.
If you like this recipe, you can also try Chettinad recipes such as
- 2 Beetroots , cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup Green peas (Matar)
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 1 Tomato , finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger , paste
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic , paste
- 1/4 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Ghee , or oil
- Salt , to taste Ingredients for the Chettinad masala
- 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 Star anise
- 3 Dry red chillies
- 2 tablespoons Cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
How to make Chettinad Beetroot Kurma Recipe
To begin making Chettinad Beetroot Kurma Recipe, heat a pan and dry roast all the ingredients mentioned in the Chettinad masala table except coconut till it gets fragrant and keep aside.
Once its cool, grind it along with the coconut to a smooth paste adding little water using a mixer grinder and keep aside.
Heat ghee in the same pan on medium flame, add the bay leaf and chopped onions and fry until it turns translucent.
Add the curry leaves, ginger garlic paste and turmeric powder and saute until the raw smell of the ginger-garlic goes away.
Add the beetroot cubes and saute for a minute.
Add the ground Chettinad masala paste, curd, season with salt, mix well and let the gravy simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
Add the green peas, tomatoes, a cup of water if the gravy is too thick and simmer for another 10 minutes and switch off the flame.
"I am an experimental cook by chance!" Yeah! Cooking to me has always been a form of stress buster. What started as a stress busting exercise post work, has now evolved to a much full time activity. I try to improvise the traditional recipes with easy to available ingredients at home. Thus, you will come across a lot of fusion in my cooking style. I try to include seasonal organic produce as much as possible in my cooking.