Chettinad Vegetable Biryani Recipe
A delicious and spicy Chettinadu style Biryani that can be enjoyed for a Sunday lunch with your family.In association with Future Consumer
Chettinad Vegetable Biryani Recipe is a spicy one pot Biryani that is simple to make and delicious to eat. My father used to love eating this biryani and every other Sunday we used to step outside just to eat this biryani. It took me years to make this exact recipe and now I would like to share this recipe with all of you. Most often biryani is cooked with biryani rice, but at home, I find it really easy to make biryani with Ponni rice or Sona Masuri rice, as it is always available at home and my children love it like that as well. This biryani is a one pot meal and can be prepared in less than 45 minutes.
If you like this recipe, here are a few more Biryani recipes
To roast and grind
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1 Star anise
- 2 Stone flower , small For the Biryani
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , diced
- 1/2 cup Green beans (French Beans) , cut lengthwise
- 1 Potato (Aloo) , diced
- 1/4 cup Green peas (Matar)
- 12 Pearl onions (Sambar Onions) , finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes , roughly chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta) , roughly torn
- 1/4 cup Mint Leaves (Pudina) , roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- Salt , to taste For roasting cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/4 cup Cashew nuts , broken
How to make Chettinad Vegetable Biryani Recipe
To begin making the Chettinad Vegetable Biryani Recipe, get all the ingredients ready and keep them aside.
The first step is to roast all the spices. In to a pan, add the cloves, cardamom, pepper, fennel seeds, cinnamon, star anise and stone flower. Roast for about a minute until you get a roasted aroma.
Once roasted, grind to make a fine powder of the spices. This will be our Biryani Masala.
The next step is to make the Chettinad Veg Biryani. Heat ghee or oil into the pressure cooker over medium heat.
Add the onion, ginger, garlic and saute until the onions soften. Once the onions are softened, add the tomatoes, and cook until the tomatoes soften.
Finally add the vegetables, the Biryani Masala, coriander powder, red chilli powder, rice and saute for a few minutes until the rice is coated with the masalas. Stir in the mint leaves and salt.
Add 2 cups water and pressure cook the biryani for 2 whistles. After 2 whistles, turn the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes and turn off the heat. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and allow the Chettinad Veg Biryani to rest for about a minute before you stir.
In the meanwhile, heat ghee over medium heat. Add the cashew nuts and roast until golden and crisp.Stir in the roasted cashew nuts into the Chettinad Veg Biryani and transfer to a bowl.