Gujarati Dabeli Recipe - Pav Buns With Spicy Mashed Potatoes
Here is a delicious street food from Gujarat that you must try. Soft pav buns stuffed with flavoured potato mash and garlic chutney with a crunch of sev and a sweet tang from the pomegranate pearls makes this snack lip smacking delicious. Give the Dabeli a try for a weekend snack and you will surely love it.
Dabeli is India’s answer to the western burger that is popularly sold on the streets of Gujarat. The pav buns are stuffed with a sweet and spicy potato mixture topped with onions, pomegranate, and fresh Lehsun Chutney and Sev.
If you like Indian Street Food Recipes, then you must some of our other favorites such as:
- 4 Pav buns
- Butter , for toasting buns
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Sev
- 1/2 cup Fresh Pomegranate Fruit Kernels
- 1/4 cup Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Lahsun Ki Chutney (Red Garlic Chutney) For Homemade Dabeli Masala
- 4 Potatoes (Aloo) , boiled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera) , roasted and powdered
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- 4 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Pepper Corns
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 Brown cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 1 Star anise
- 1/4 cup Dessicated Coconut
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Chutney (Date & Tamarind)
- 1 teaspoon Salt , to taste
- Salt , to taste
How to make Gujarati Dabeli Recipe - Pav Buns With Spicy Mashed Potatoes
To begin making the Dabeli Recipe, first get all the ingredients prepped and ready.
Boil the potatoes in the pressure cooker, peel and mash them and keep aside. Add the potatoes into the pressure cooker along with 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
After 3 whistles, turn the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes and turn off the heat. Allow the pressure to release naturally. Once the pressure has released, open cooker, peel skin off the potatoes and mash the potatoes to a coarse texture. It does not have to be completely smooth.
The next step is to make the Homemade Dabeli Masala.
Roast all the ingredients for the dabeli masala - Fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, red chilli, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper and star anise. Roast for a few seconds until you can smell the aromas coming through.
Add the roasted spices to a blender and make a fine powder. Add the coconut, sugar, amchur powder and red chilli powder and blend to combine. The Homemade Dabeli masala powder is now ready.
Heat butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the dabeli masala and saute for a few seconds. Add the mashed potatoes, the date chutney and roasted peanuts and saute until well combined for about 3 to 4 minutes.
Check the taste and spices and adjust accordingly and keep the Dabeli Filling aside.
Slice the pav-buns into half horizontally. Spread butter and toast them on the pan on both sides, until the surface is lightly golden and crisp. Turn off heat and take pav buns off the pan and place on a platter.
Spread a large dollop of the dabeli filling on the lower half of the buns; sprinkle the chopped onion, coriander leaves, Sev, and pomegranate on top of the filling.
Smear the Garlic Chutney on the top half of the bun. Place this top half of the bun on the lower filled half and serve.