Dahi Baingan Recipe - Brinjal In Curd Based Gravy
Unique brinjal curry with sauteed onions and tomatoes in spicy curd and besan gravy. Perfect for summers, you can include this in your everyday meals.
Dahi Baingan Recipe (Brinjal In Curd Based Gravy) is a famous North indian dish. The combination of brinjal and yogurt with spices gives a unique taste and goes very well as a side dish with the main meal.
If you like this recipe, try more Brinjal Recipes for your everyday meals:
- 5 Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant) , chopped to bite size
- 1 Onion , finely sliced
- 2 Tomatoes , finely sliced
- 1 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 2 tablespoon Gram flour (besan)
- 2 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder , (adjust to taste)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Powder
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt , to taste
- 3 Dry Red Chillies , (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , a small bunch, to garnish For Tempering:
- Sunflower Oil , as needed
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Urad Dal (Split)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- Curry leaves , a few
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
How to make Dahi Baingan Recipe - Brinjal In Curd Based Gravy
To begin making the Dahi Baingan Recipe (Brinjal In Curd Based Gravy), prepare all the ingredients, with chopping veggies and keeping all the other ingredients handy.
In a shallow frying pan, heat about 2 teaspoons of cooking oil, and saute all the brinjal cubes lightly without making them mushy, on a medium flame till the brinjals are browned. Switch off and keep aside.
In a mixing bowl, mix curd (yogurt) and besan until there are no lumps. Now add coriander powder, red chilli powder, fennel powder, garam masala, turmeric powder to the bowl and mix well.
Take a kadai and dry roast sesame seeds and dry red chillies. Once they cool down to room temperature, blend them in a mixer to a fine powder.
Now take little oil in the same kadai, heat. Once it is heated, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
Add split urad dal, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf and wait for it to change color. When color changes add curry leaves, allow them to splutter and add ginger garlic paste immediately and fry for a few seconds till the raw smell disappears.
Add finely sliced onions and fry on medium heat until onion i brownish.
Add sliced tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
Once the tomatoes are cooked, add curd besan and spice powder mix from the bowl and fold till everything gets mixed well.
Now add the brinjal cubes which were previously sauteed and continue cooking for some more time till the masala gets seeped into the brinjal, by cooking covered and sauteing occasionally.
Add salt, mix, do a taste check and garnish the Dahi Baingan with coriander leaves and switch off heat.
Dahi Baingan Recipe - Brinjal In Curd Based Gravy is part of the Beat The Heat With Summer Vegetables