Dhaba Style Dal Fry Recipe | Mixed Dal Tadka
You will absolutely love this Dhaba Style Dal Fry made from mixed dal's. Its a version which has a perfect blend of lentils and legumes and spices to give it that rich taste. Serve it along with Paneer Butter Masala, Yakhni pulao and Homemade Naan for a delicious meal.
Dhaba Style Dal Fry is a perfect dal when you want to have something spicy yet simple. The creamy dal fry consists of different kind of dals like Toor Dal, Urad Dal, Masoor Dal and Chana Dal and also a little rajma and Kala chana ti give it that added texture and taste.
the Dhaba Style Dal Fry is very popular on the road side dhabas in North India and is prepared with the mixture of many dals. The dal will yield you enough protein that you would require for your day to day diet.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Dal recipes such as
- 1/4 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal)
- 2 tablespoons Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 2 tablespoons Masoor Dal (Whole)
- 2 tablespoons White Urad Dal (Split)
- 2 tablespoons Kashmiri Rajma
- 2 tablespoons Kala Chana (Brown Chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 2 inch Cinnamon stick , broken
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta) , torn
- 2 Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- Salt , to taste
- 1 Lemon , juice extracted
- 6 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
How to make Dhaba Style Dal Fry Recipe | Mixed Dal Tadka
To begin making the Dhaba Style Dal Fry Recipe | Mixed Dal Tadka, prep all the ingredients and keep them ready.
Soak all the dal's together in a large bowl along with enough water for 6 to 8 hours.
The next step is to make the dal and for this we will cook it in a single pot in the pressure cooker.
Heat ghee in the pressure cooker over medium heat; add the onion, ginger and saute until the onions soften.
Add the spices - cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and saute for a few seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder.
Saute until the tomatoes turn mushy and soft. Add the salt, soaked dals and enough water such that there is at least 2 inches of water above the dals.
Cover the pressure cooker and cook the Dhaba Style Dal Fry for 4 to 5 whistles. After 4 to 5 whistles, turn the heat to low. Simmer the dal for at least 30 minutes and turn off the heat.
Allow the pressure to release naturally. Once the pressure has released, give the dal a good stir. Mash it gently to suit your taste.
Check the salt and adjust to suit your taste. Finally stir in the lemon juice and coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
Transfer the Dhaba Style Dal Fry to a serving bowl and serve hot.