Fajeto Recipe - Gujarati Ripe Mango Curry Recipe
Fajeto is a yogurt and ripe mango based curry that is tangy, hot, sweet and simply delicious. Serve it fresh during the summers, when the mangoes are in full season long with stuffed bhindi and steamed rice.
Fajeto is a yogurt and mango based curry that is tangy, hot, sweet and simply delicious. I sometimes wonder if delicious is enough to describe this dish.
Come every mango season this one dish does not skip a Gujarati’s summer cooking menu; where ripe mangoes are pureed and simmered with yogurt and spices.
If you would like to make this dish in a pure Jain Recipe, then you should omit the ginger in the recipe and the Fajeto will taste just as delicious.
If you are looking for more Jain recipes here are some of our favorites:
- Jain Style Dal Makhani Recipe
- Aloo Beans Sabzi Recipe (Potato & Beans Stir Fry)
- No Onion No Garlic Black Eyed Beans Curry RecipeEdit
- 1 cup Mango (Ripe) , pureed
- 1 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons Gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Jaggery
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- Salt , to taste Ingredients for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , grated (omit ginger if jain)
- 2 Green Chilli , slit
- 6 Curry leaves , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
How to make Fajeto Recipe - Gujarati Ripe Mango Curry Recipe
To begin making the Gujarati Fajeto (Mango Kadhi) recipe, into a saucepan combine all the main ingredients along with 2 cups of water and whisk them together until well combined.
Bring the mixture to come to a boil whisking occasionally. Once the mixture begins to boil, turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
To make the seasoning for the Fajeto Mango Kadhi; Heat ghee in a large saucepan on medium heat; add mustard seeds and cumin seeds allow them to crackle.
Add the cinnamon, dry red chilli, curry leaves, ginger and green chillies and stir for a few seconds. Check the salt and spice levels and adjust to suit your taste.
Pour the seasoning over the simmering Fajeto Kadhi. Turn off the heat and garnish the Kadhi with chopped coriander leaves.