Hesarukalu Bele Kosambari Recipe | Tangy Sprouted Green Moong Dal Salad
A South Indian style salad, from the state of Karnataka, Hesarukalu Bele Kosambari Recipe is a popular salad made to be served usually as part of wedding meals and festival meals.
Kosambari is a high protein, diabetic friendly salad variety from Karnataka. It is usually made during special occasions like weddings and festivals.
Usually soaked dals(moong or chana dal) are used in making this salad. However, Hesarukalu Bele Kosambari Recipe has sprouted green moong in it. Refreshing ingredients like carrot, cucumber and coconut give the right balance and texture to this salad.
Did you know: Apart from the ease of cooking it, green moong is high fibre, easy to digest and easy on the system. Green moong has a low carb count compared to most other pulses, and hence is also a diabetic diet which is moderately good in protein.
You can try more such salad recipes like
- Kachumber Salad Recipe With Cucumber, Onion & Tomatoes
- Chopped Spinach and Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- Mung Bean Sprouts & Tofu Salad Recipe
- 2 cups Green Moong Dal (Whole) , sprouted
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , grated
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut , grated
- 1 Cucumber , finely chopped
- 1 Tomato , finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 Lemon , juice extracted
- 6 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt , or to taste For seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons Coconut Oil
How to make Hesarukalu Bele Kosambari Recipe | Tangy Sprouted Green Moong Dal Salad
To begin making Hesarukalu Bele Kosambari Recipe, prep all the ingredients and keep ready.
You can either get store bought sprouts or make the sprouts at home from this link - How To Make Sprouts At Home.
Now that you have the sprouts ready with you, in a mixing bowl, combine the sprouted green gram, grated carrots, grated coconut, finely chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, lemon, salt, coriander leaves and green chilies. Adjust the amount of green chilies as per your palate. Mix all the ingredients well.
Heat oil in a small pan; add mustard seeds and urad dal and allow the seeds to crackle and dal to turn golden brown and crisp. Once done, turn off the heat and stir in the curry leaves.
Add the Curry leaves to the above Hesarukalu Bele Kosambari (moong sprout salad) and stir well to combine.
Check the taste and adjust salt accordingly. Transfer the Hesarukalu Bele Kosambari to a serving bowl and serve immediately or chilled.