Himachal Pahari Style Teliah Mah Recipe (Brown Horse Gram Curry)
A quick curry made with horse gram lentil cooked in a spicy yogurt gravy that you can be served along phulka.
Himachal Pahari Style Teliah Mah Recipe (Brown Horse Gram Curry) is a simple lentil preparation that uses horse gram, it is cooked in a spicy yogurt curry. The masala used in this recipe are very simple as the pahari cuisine is all about simple cooking with whatever ingredients they have in their house. The cuisine hails from the snow Cap Mountains of himachal where cooking exotic food is very minimal. Their main dish would be a simple dal with firewood cooked rotis.
If you are looking for more curry recipes here are some :
- Dahi Bhindi Recipe (Okra in Yogurt Curry with Caramelized Onions)
- Gujarati Kadhi Recipe (Sweet and Spicy Yogurt Curry)
- Gujarati Dal Recipe (Sweet Tangy and Spicy Lentil Curry)
- 1/2 cup Horse Gram Dal (Kollu/ Kulith)
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 inch Ginger , chopped
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh cream
- Ghee , for cooking
- Salt , to taste
How to make Himachal Pahari Style Teliah Mah Recipe (Brown Horse Gram Curry)
To begin making the Himachal Pahari Style Teliah Mah Recipe, we will soak the lentil for about 2 hours or overnight with water.
Pressure cook the lentil with some water and salt in the pressure cooker for about 4 whistle till it is done.
Heat a kadai with ghee, add all the whole spice one by one and let the aroma fill the kitchen for few seconds.
Add chopped ginger and saute until it softens. Add in the cooked lentils along with spice powders.
Give it a stir, once it start to boil, reduce the heat to medium and slowly add in the curd and whisk it continuously.
Simmer the curry and add cream check for salt and serve hot.