Japanese Style Chicken Katsu Curry Recipe
A fusion recipe, made to suit the Indian palette is this Japanese Style Chicken Katsu Curry Recipe, with a base of an Indo-Japanese Spice blend that makes this dish absolutely flavoursome.
Japanese Style Chicken Katsu Curry Recipe is a fusion of an Indian and Japanese dish. Where the glorious chicken curry is made with an Indo Japanese spice blend and the addition of apples and soy sauce give a delicious Japanese twist to the curry with succulent pieces of chicken.
Try our other Chicken Recipes:
- 300 grams Chicken breasts , cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder To make the Indo-Japanese Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1/8 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 6 Black pepper corns
- 1 Star anise
- 2 tablespoons Butter (Salted)
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour (Maida) Other ingredients
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Garlic
- 2 Onions , sliced
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , cut into cubes
- 2 Potatoes (Aloo) , boiled, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Apple , cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg powder
- Salt , salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Honey
How to make Japanese Style Chicken Katsu Curry Recipe
To begin making the Japanese Style Chicken Katsu Curry Recipe, in a mixing bowl combine the washed and cleaned chicken pieces, along with salt and pepper and let it sit.
Heat a small skillet on medium flame, add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods, black pepper corns and star anise. dry roast this on medium-low flame for about 4-6 minutes until nice and fragrant. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
Transfer to a mixer-jar and grind to a fine powder, and set aside.
In a small skillet, heat butter on medium flame, add the all purpose flour and cook until the butter and flour are well combined and the flour has cooked through.
Now add the Indo-Japanese Spice Blend to the butter and flour mixture and cook for about two minutes. Turn off the flame and set aside.
Heat a kadai on medium flame, add oil and then the ginger and garlic, saute for 30 seconds, then add in the sliced onions and cook until it turns into a light brown colour. This will take about 5 minutes.
To the cooked onions, add the water and the spiced flour butter mixture, salt, turmeric powder, and mix well, bring to a single boil, reduce the flame add the onions and carrots and cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through completely.
Open the lid, add nutmeg powder, tomato ketchup, soy sauce, honey, apple strips and mix well.
Turn off the flame, transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot.