Kaigari Pirattal Recipe (Chettinad Style Mixed Vegetables)
Kaigari Pirattal in Tamil means stir fried vegetables. This unique mixed vegetable stir fry uses aromatic Chettinad spices. Chettinad cuisine makes use of fennel in various forms in its recipes. The Kaigari Pirattal Recipe is mildly flavored with fennel seeds and is a great accompaniment with steamed rice and Manathakkali Kai Vathal Kuzhambu.
Explore more recipes from Chettinad cuisine here-
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower (gobi) , broken into small florets
- 1/4 cup Green beans (French Beans) , cut into one-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Carrots (Gajjar) , cut into inch long pieces
- 2 Potatoes (Aloo) , cut into cubes
- 1 Onion , sliced
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves To grind to coarse mixture
- 1/2 cup Fresh coconut , grated
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
How to make Kaigari Pirattal Recipe (Chettinad Style Mixed Vegetables)
To begin making Kaigari Pirattal (Chettinad Style Mixed Vegetables) Recipe, heat a wok in medium flame and pour oil in it. Now, put the mustard seeds, curry leaves and let it splutter.
Now, add all the cut vegetables into the tempering and give it a stir. Sprinkle some water over it and cook with the lid on for five more minutes.
Keep stirring in between till the vegetables are fully cooked.
Now make a coarse mixture of grated coconut, red chilies, cumin and fennel seeds using a mixer grinder.
Add this spice mix to the vegetables, season with salt, and give it a good stir and switch off the flame.
Serve this Kaigari Pirattal (Chettinad Style Mixed Vegetables) with steamed rice and spicy Manathakkali Kai Vathal Kuzhambu.