Kerala Style Kappa Ishtoo Recipe -Tapioca Stew Recipe
Tapioca curry with coconut milk, flavoured with crushed pepper, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, is a must try recipe. Flavorful and delicious serve with steamed rice or appams.
Tapioca Stew or Kappa Ishtoo is a delicious tapioca curry, prepared using coconut milk, fresh tapioca root and flavored with whole crushed pepper, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. A very simple stew that is nutritious and rich in flavors, it has ingredients that are very minimal, yet which make great impact.
If you are looking for more Kerala Recipes here are some:
- The cooking time for the tapioca depends on the quality of the vegetable. Some varieties need just 2 to 3 whistles to cook while some others take 6 or 7.
- When the coconut milk is added to the tapioca water, turn off the gas immediately. Over boiling it will result in the stew having a bitter taste.
- Green chillies can be added as per the taste required.
- The tapioca in this recipe can also be replaced by potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and even peas
- 500 grams Tapioca root , or kappa, cleaned and diced into 1”pieces
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar) , cut diagonally
- 1 Onion , sliced
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns , crushed
- 200 ml Coconut milk
- 1/2 inch Ginger , sliced thin
- 2 Green Chillies , deseeded and slit in two
- 2-3 sprig Curry leaves , roughly torn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Coconut Oil , for cooking
- Salt , to taste
How to make Kerala Style Kappa Ishtoo Recipe -Tapioca Stew Recipe
To begin making the Kerala Style Kappa Ishtoo Recipe (Tapioca Stew Recipe), start by adding the tapioca pieces in a cooker along with green chillies, ginger and salt. Add in about 2 cups of water, so that the tapioca is fully immersed and pressure-cook it on high until you hear 3 whistles. When done, switch of the gas and set the cooker down.
Heat a kadai with coconut oil, crackle the mustard seeds and curry leaves and then add the cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamom. Saute till the aromas are relapsed and then add in the sliced onions and carrot and saute for 2 minutes until the onions turn soft.
Add the coconut milk along with the tapioca , give it a stir and keep the stew covered and simmering for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the tapioca stew rest for a few minutes to allow the flavors to blend together. Check for seasoning and serve.
Hi there! This is our chance to talk to you. First, we love creating recipes keeping you in mind. At Archana's Kitchen we try to keep recipes simple, smart and seasonal without additives and preservatives. We hope you enjoy cooking recipes from our website where the sole effort is to make cooking simple for you. When you try out one of our recipes, we are longing to hear back from you. Do take your time to come back and share your comments, as your feedback means a lot to us.