Kerala Style Avial Recipe - Onam Sadya Recipe
You must try this delicious Kerala Avial Recipe which is a traditional dish of the Kerala Cuisine that is made with a combination of root vegetables along with ash gourd, drumstick and coconut.The recipe is healthy and quick to make and at home.
The Avial Recipe is a traditional dish of the Kerala Cuisine that is made with a combination of root vegetables along with ash gourd and coconut. The flavors of the Avial comes from the use of coconut oil and curry leaves that make an important addition to this dish. The recipe is healthy and quick to make and at home.
Serve the Kerala Avial Recipe along with Vathal Kuzhambu and steamed rice for a delicious sunday lunch.
Read more of our Kerala recipes:
- 1 cup Vellai Poosanikai (Ash gourd/White Pumpkin) , cut lengthwise
- 2 Drumstick , cut lengthwise
- 2 Carrots (Gajjar) , cut lengthwise
- 10 Green beans (French Beans) , cut lengthwise
- 1 Raw Banana , peeled and cut lengthwise
- 2 Potatoes (Aloo) , peeled and cut lengthwise
- 1 cup Elephant yam (Suran/Senai/Ratalu) , peeled and cut lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt , to taste Ingredients for Coconut Gravy
- 1-1/2 cups Fresh coconut , grated
- 3 Green Chillies
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- Salt , to taste
How to make Kerala Style Avial Recipe - Onam Sadya Recipe
To begin making the Kerala Style Avial Recipe, we will first steam all the vegetables along with salt.
I like to cook the vegetables together in a pressure cooker.
To do this, place all the cut vegetables into the pressure cooker, sprinkle some salt, add 1/4 cup of water and cover the pressure cooker. Place the weight on and allow the vegetables to pressure cook for about 2 two whistles.
After two whistles, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes and turn off the heat.
Release the pressure immediately, by placing the pressure cooker under running water. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker. Transfer the steamed vegetables to a serving bowl.
Our next step, we will make the Coconut Base for the Kerala Avial.
To do this, place the coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds into the mixer. Add a little warm water and blend to make an almost smooth paste.
Add the coconut mixture to the steamed vegetables, add a tablespoon of coconut oil, torn curry leaves and give the Kerala Avial a stir. Adjust the salt to suit your taste.
When you are ready to serve, warm the Kerala Avial in the microwave and serve along with steamed rice and Vathal Kuzhambu