Karwar Style Khatkhate Recipe (Mixed Vegetable Curry With Toor Dal & Coconut)
Karwar Style Khatkhate Recipe is basically a konkani mixed vegetable curry that is cooked along with toor dal and coconut milk. Serve the comforting curry along with lashani kadhi and phulka.
Karwar Style Khatkhate Recipe (Mixed Vegetable Curry With Toor Dal & Coconut) is basically a konkani mixed vegetable curry with toor dal and coconut. This dish is common in almost all konkani houses.
A variety of mixed seasonal veggies are used to make to Khatkhate. It's a no onion no garlic dish. Addition of tirphal or Sichuan pepper gives a unique flavour to this curry.
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Karwar recipes such as :
- 1/2 cup Arhar dal (Split Toor Dal)
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables , (beans, carrot, potato, peas, drumstick, radish, taro root)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 tablespoons Jaggery , adjustable
- 5 Kokum (Malabar Tamarind) , soak in hot water and extract juice
- Salt , to taste For the gravy
- 1/2 Fresh coconut , grated
- 4 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 8 Sichuan peppercorns For tempering
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (Rai/ Kadugu)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- Curry leaves , few
How to make Karwar Style Khatkhate Recipe (Mixed Vegetable Curry With Toor Dal & Coconut)
To begin making the Karwar Style Khatkhate Recipe, wash and pressure cook toor dal with a pinch of turmeric for 2-3 whistles. Once cooked, mash it well and keep aside.
Dice the vegetables and cook them with enough water in a pressure cooker for one whistle. Turn off the flame and immediately release the pressure. They should just be cooked. make sure you don't overcook them.
Meanwhile, grind coconut, red chillies, coriander powder and turmeric powder with little water to a smooth paste. Add sichuan pepper and grind the paste again for few more seconds.
When the vegetables are almost done, add ground coconut paste and mashed toor dal. Add salt, kokam and jaggery. Mix everything well and bring to boil .
Finally prepare the tempering for the curry. Heat oil in a kadhai. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Cook for about a minute and then pour it on Khatkhate.